Summary: Eternity is a major fact of the future of every person. Some say it is irrelevant. Whether it be too disturbing to discuss or not, the Bible makes it very plain. Eternity cannot be avoided.
I want us to consider the positive side of eternity today. Heaven!
a. Every invitation given is with heaven in mind.
b. Every sermon preached is with heaven in mind.
c. Every dollar given is with heaven in mind.
d. This service today is not about being a Baptist but about going to heaven.
I. Bible Teaching about Heaven
1. Heaven is mentioned more than 550 times.
2. Heaven is the foundation for our faith and hope. It's why we're here today! The hope of heaven!
3. Heaven is a real place.
a. It is not a dream.
4. Heaven is the goal of the believers. The final destination.
a. The promise of God.
5. Heaven is eternal. That means it will never end. Everything else will fade away.
a. Heaven is forever.
6. Heaven is for the believer at death. 2 Corinthians 5:8
7. Heaven is a place of reward.
a. For the faithfulness of the life of the believer.
8. There are many unanswered questions about heaven, but there are some answers given to us about our future as a Christian.
II. What Will Heaven be Like
1. Heaven is the capstone of all of God's creativity.
2. A new body for you. One like and into the image of Jesus. 1 John 3:2-3
a. No weakness, no sickness, no disease, no sin. Revelation 21:3,4,27
3. A new environment for you. Is totally free from poverty, sin, immorality, lawlessness.
a. New and perfect
b. The absolute of God's holiness. Revelation 21:1-8
4. A new lifestyle for you. At last, all mankind will live as God has planned.
a. Perfect fellowship with God. Revelation 22:4
b. Perfect knowledge and understanding. 1 Corinthians 13:8-13
c. Perfect peace and rest. The end of the perplexities and toils. Revelation 14:13
h. Perfect worship, given from a pure heart to the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Revelation 5:8-14; 19:1
5. Heaven is a perfect lifestyle. Almost impossible to imagine.
a. Heaven is what God has planned and prepared for those who love him.
b. Eye hath not seen nor ear heard!
III. A Belief in Heaven Should Affect Your Life
1. It should mean that:
2. #1; Your lifestyle is conformed to Christ.
a. You cannot believe in heaven and live to please yourself.
3. #2; Life's love is centered in Christ.
4. #3; Life’s treasure is committed to Christ.
a. You are a good steward. You will make eternal investments.
6. #5; Life's communication is Christ. Through your life you will communicate to others who Jesus is. The things that he has done for you and is doing for you.
a. Galatians 2:20-21; 6:12-14
7. When you understand the reality of heaven it will change the way you live.
a. New expectations
b. New goals
c. New desires
d. It will affect every human relationship.
IV. How to be Sure You Will Go to Heaven
1. What could be more important than having the assurance that when you die you will go to heaven?
a. It's not a matter of guesswork.
b. The Bible makes it clear and plain.
2. You must be born again. John 3:3
a. A spiritual birth must be experienced.
3. Heaven is made possible through the cross of Christ.
a. Through Jesus’s sacrifice he paid a ransom. 1 Peter 1:17-25
b. Romans 3:21-26; is God’s answer to our sin problem.
4. Trusting in Jesus Christ brings eternal life.
a. John 1:11-13; 6:39-40
5. You can know you are going to heaven. 1 John 5:11-13
6. The Bible basis for going to heaven is trusting Jesus.
7. He is the only way. Act 4:12