Summary: As Christians, we are members of the richest and most influential family in history. Are we acting like it?
Heir To a Fortune
Griffith Baptist Church – 6/22/08
Text: Romans 8:15-17
Key verse: Romans 8:16 - The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
A man had a heart attack and was rushed to the hospital. He could receive little company and was not to be excited. While in the hospital a rich uncle died and left him a million dollars. His family wondered how to break the news to him with the least amount of excitement. It was decided to ask the preacher if he would go and break the news quietly to the man. The preacher went, and gradually led up to the question. The preacher asked the patient what he would do if he inherited a million dollars. He said, ’I think I would give half of it to the church." The preacher dropped dead.
If you were told that you were going to inherit a vast sum of money, what would you do? What would you think? How would you react?
We Christians are sitting on a fortune and acting like paupers
o We still behave with the same poor, old nature
o We do not live like we are children of the King
o We think in terms of what we owe instead of what is already bought and paid for.
1. The legal aspect of bringing a person into a family
2. In this we are brought in as adult children into the family of God
3. All of the former attachments to previous relationships do not exist any longer
4. This is not 2nd class status but is a firm and unbreakable, binding family relationship
1. From a spiritual standing we are born into the family of God, as in the physical sense
2. John 3:3 – Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
3. This is new birth, the first birth is physical, and the other spiritual
4. This is simply being made alive because we were dead in and because of sin – Ephesians 2:1 - And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
If we are children of the King, we need to act and think like children of the King.
Transition Statement: First, we need to understand that we have an improved status.
1. An Improved Status - 15
A. A New Freedom
i. We are bought out of the marketplace of sin
ii. We are free in Christ
iii. True freedom for those in Christ - John 8:32-36 - 32And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
B. A New Family
i. We have a new family headed in the same direction - Years ago a man was searching his family roots and visited several cemeteries and read many inscriptions on the tombstones. There was one tombstone on which was engraved "Pause now stranger as you pass by; as you are now, so once was I. as I am now , so soon you will be. Prepare yourself to follow me!" Next to the tombstone someone placed a piece of wood engaged with this note... "To follow you I am not content until I know which way you went."