Summary: The Bible’s description of hell.
ISA.14:9-11 “HELL IS WAITING TO MEET YOU”
A) Is hell real? Is hell a place of fire and brimstone? * Do some people actually go to hell?
* Matt. 25:41 says that “hell was prepared for the devil and his angels.”
* Many in this generation seem to have rejected the idea of hell!
* But if hell is real, denying it’s existence will only soothe the conscience for a brief time here
on earth! * For centuries most religious people (and non-religious) have believed in hell.
B) But few Pastors today say much about it, possibly for fear of offending people!
* Regardless of what modern people believe about hell, Jesus not only believed that hell was real,
He taught that most people, even very religious people, go to hell!
* Christ spoke more about hell than He did about heaven in the Bible!
C) He described hell as a place of everlasting fire ... Weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth!
* Weeping: To cry aloud, to weep with sorrow or rage .......
* Wailing: To cry long and loud because of grief or pain ...
* Gnashing of teeth: To bite by gnashing the teeth, to strike or grind the teeth together, especially
from rage or anguish.
D) The weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth is a very graphic way of expressing the despair
of a man who is in pain and torment beyond description!
* Prov.27:20 says that hell and destruction are never full!
* No matter how many die and go to hell, it’s never full ... It’s never satisfied!
* I want to look at Luke 16:19-31 for a few minutes today for an outline .......
(1) HELL IS A PLACE OF SUFFERING - V.23! * “And in hell he lifted up his eyes .......”
* Here, many times we will endure great pain and go to the E.R. and get a shot to ease the pain!
A) But in hell, pain will never end! * One of the worst pains is a bad burn!
* This rich man was suffering in the torment of flames!
(2) HELL IS A PLACE OF UNSATISFIED DESIRES - V.24! * “And he cried and said ...”
* When we have desires, we can usually satisfy them, but in hell, there is no satisfaction!
A) No food, no water, no booze, no dope, no sex, no money, no friends, etc.
* Many will scream and beg for these desires, but there will be no way to satisfy them!
* You may feel there is some sin you can’t give up, but one day you will give it up!
* Oh, by the way, there is no laughter in hell!
(3) HELL IS A PLACE OF MEMORY - V.25! * “But Abraham said, Son, remember .......”
* Your memory will be like 10,000 mirrors around you, recalling all the sins of your life!
A) You will remember how you sold your eternal soul for the pleasures of this world!
* You will remember every sermon you have ever heard, every invitation song,
* You’ll remember how the Holy Spirit begged you to come to Jesus and be saved!
B) How the preacher begged you to get back in church and rededicate your life!
* You’ll remember how you held back, how you resisted and rejected Jesus!
* And now you are in hell without God and without hope!
(4) HELL IS A PLACE OF HOPELESSNESS - V.26! * “And beside all this, between ...”
* Hope is the mainspring that keeps us going! * When we get sick, we hope to get well!