Summary: Sermon that challenges believers to look within themselves and make sure that their worship matches their walk
Around the turn of the century, Kathryn Scott sang a song entitled “Breathe”. Here is a taste of some of the lyrics:
“This is the air I breathe, Your Holy presence living in me”
“This is my daily bread, Your very word spoken to me”
“And I I’m desperate for you, and I’m lost without you”
Today, I am preaching on the subject – “Help! I Can’t Breathe!”
“Let everything that hath breath, praise the Lord” – Unfortunately, in today’s church, culture and world, the church is on life support. Christians are barely breathing. Lost folks are smothering.
I believe that we are struggling on the four prongs of worship:
1. Are you desperate to PRAISE God each week/day/minute/second?
2. Do you have a hunger for God’s Word?
3. Do you have a desire to GIVE back to God as He has blessed you?
4. Are you desperate enough to PRAY for your every need?
What holds us back in the Church today?
I. No Relationship with God
- Not Saved
- Name may be on a church roll
- May have a title or a position in church
- Constantly complaining/griping/moaning if things don’t go your way (miserable)
You’re not desperate for God – you’re longing for what you desire
You’re not hungry for God to work – You’re not thirsty to drink of His living water.
You don’t want His church/Kingdom to grow – especially if the people are not like you.
In God’s Word, Matthew 25:31-46 explains this “lack” of a relationship with God
You can’t breathe – You need Jesus
You can’t praise the Lord – because you can’t breathe
II. Saved, but Sin is Present
- You’re a Christian – you know that you are!
o Sin is present in your life
You WILL struggle until you confess and repent
• You will have to reach a point of desperation
o Cry out to God (HELP)
o Ask God to Forgive (HELP)
o Walk away in Repentance (HELP
• After desperation hits – you cry out, and ask for forgiveness, and repent:
o Be hungry for God’s Word
Gives guidance, encouragement, admonishment, provision, protection, providence of God
o Be Thirsty for God
Note these examples:
• People around them are miserable; Misery loves company
• Wear masks to church; Normally look like they’ve lost their best friend
• They want everything to go their way – and if it doesn’t – they’ll do anything to shift the current
o Absence of God’s Will/Direction
o Presence of Self Will/Drive/Determination
“My way or you hit the highway”
• Good one minute; On the edge the next
o Ill. Their lives are a constant roller coaster
• Will pray-ask for forgiveness-then fall right back into the sinful pattern