He's Dead, But Not Done!
St. John 19:28-42
"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
Intro: The flesh said, "He's done," the world said, "He's done," and Satan said, "He's Done!" They beat and bled and blasted the life out of his body but He's not done!
1. The Words of the Savior -- Dying.
a. His passion
Jn. 3:14 "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:"
10:11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."
17-18 "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father."
12:7-8 "Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."
12:32 "32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."
b. His pronouncements - 7 statements from the cross
The traditional order of the sayings is:
1. Father forgive them, for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).
2. Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise (Luke 23:43).
3. Woman, behold your son: behold your mother (John 19:26-27).
5. I thirst (John 19:28).
6. It is finished (John 19:30).
7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit (Luke 23:46).
c. His passing
2. The Witnesses at the Scene -- Dead.
a. His flesh
b. His foes
c. His friends
3. The Wrapping in the Sepulcher -- Done?
a. His resurrection
b. His revelation
c. His return