Summary: Soul winning was Jesus' main mission, ends human emptiness, interrupts the cycle of sin, honors the suffering of Jesus, and is the only brief opportunity of helping people switch eternal destinations.
HE THAT WINS SOULS IS WISE
A. HUMOR: AGGIE HELPS SHSU WIN $1 M
1. Mick, a student at SHSU, appeared on “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire” and won $500,000. He chose to risk it all on the final question.
2. "Which of the following birds does NOT build its own nest?
a). Sparrow; b). Thrush; c). Magpie; d). Cuckoo?"
3. "I haven't got a clue." said Mick, ''So I'll use last lifeline and phone my friend Bubba over at Texas A & M University."
4. Mick called up Bubba, and repeated the question to him.
Bubba said, "That's simple, it's a cuckoo." "Are you sure?"
5. "What do you mean? I go to Texas A & M! I know what I’m talking about!”
6. Mick hung up the phone and told Chris, "I'll go with cuckoo as my answer." "Is that your final answer?" asked Chris. "Yes."
7. There was a long, long pause and then the presenter screamed, "Cuckoo is the correct answer! Mick, you've won $1 million!"
8. Later that night Mick called Bubba to thank him for his help.
"Tell me, Bubba? What did you ever study to know that the Cuckoo that doesn't build its own nest?"
9. "Everybody knows that! Cuckoos live in clocks!"
1. There’s a lot of things that are going on that I don’t like; a lot of things I would change if I could. I’d like to:
a. DEFUND Planned Parenthood and stop the murder of innocents. I’d like to…
b. SECURE OUR BORDERS, stem tide of refugees.
c. Put PRAYER BACK INTO SCHOOLS;
d. Make MARRIAGE BTW A MAN & A WOMAN;
e. BALANCE THE BUDGET, so we don’t go broke;
f. Put everybody BACK TO WORK; I’d like to
g. Stop ENVIRONMENTALISM from killing jobs;
h. Give everyone the FREEDOM TO FOLLOW THEIR CONSCIENCE and worship God how they want!
2. Unfortunately, there’s little we can do about those issues. We should never give up the fight, but the truth is, we can’t legislate morality for lost people.
3. We can get all steamed up about things we CAN’T change, OR, WE CAN FOCUS ON SOMETHING WE REALLY CAN CHANGE!
4. It’s my belief that if every Christian in America would reach and disciple 3 or 4 people in their lifetimes, America would become a Christian nation!
5. That’s something we CAN do! I CAN WITNESS TO SOMEBODY! I CAN tell somebody about Jesus, what He’s done for me. And when we do, we make the world a better place.
C. TEXT & THESIS
1. “The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that wins souls is wise.” Prov. 11:30.
2. This morning we’re going to look at 5 REASONS WHY IT’S WISE TO WIN SOULS.
I. SOUL-WINNING WAS JESUS’ PRIMARY WORK
A. THE REASON HE CAME
1. IT’S WHAT JESUS CAME TO DO. “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” I Tim. 1:15. Mt. 4:19, “Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men.” “For the Son of Man is come to seek and to save that which was lost” Lk. 19:10.
2. Soul-winning is the most rewarding work. There are no joys to match that of seeing a person receive forgiveness and new life!
1. A lighthouse keeper on a rocky peninsula was joined by a childhood friend. "Do you ever get lonesome out here by yourself?" his friend asked.
2. The lighthouse keeper smiled and said with a special light in his eyes, "I used to, until the night I saved 4 men from drowning. Since then, I’ve learned the thrill of saving a lives. Once rescued, they were changed; I saw how grateful their wives and children will be the rest of their lives to have their husbands and fathers back safe.”
3. He scanned the horizon. “Say, is that a boat out there?" His insight made him always on the lookout for other boats so he might save men and women from a watery grave.
4. Likewise, if you bring someone to new life in Jesus Christ, you’ll also get a new vision of evangelism!
II. BECAUSE OF HUMAN MISERY & TRAGEDY
A. THIS LIFE FULL OF SADNESS
Job said that our days are “Few…and full of trouble” Job 14:1.
1. Marriages fall apart. Husbands and wives bicker, fight, and are unfaithful. Divorce rates hover near 50%.
2. Jobs are lost; loved ones die before their time; there’s never enough money; children go off the deep-end and our lives are hit by a tsunami of problems.
3. People regularly say to me, “I’m so grateful I have Jesus! I don’t know what people do without the Lord!” They don’t do good!
4. We look on the outside of people and they look like they’re ok, but statistics show they’re not. Check out the millions of sedatives and stimulants prescribed. Psychologist’s offices are jammed. Everywhere people are sad and live with tragedy.