Summary: Taken from the Song of Solomon, this message speaks of the love of God for all believers.
“His Banner Over Me Was Love”
Dr. Steven G. Cook
A. Read Text - “He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.”
B. David wrote in Psalm 139:6 - “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.”
C. This is the way in which this particular verse of Scripture affects me! What a wonderful verse!
D. Let us first look at the context in which this verse of Scripture is written - Background of the Song of Solomon
E. Having been wed to King Solomon, we find our text.
F. First, let us consider “The Banqueting House”, then we will consider “His Banner of Love”.
II. The Banqueting House (Song of Solomon 2:4a)
A. The Shulamite is filled with praise that her shepherd/King had brought her to “The Banqueting House”.
B. The Lord promises to bring us to a banqueting house as well - The Lord Jesus Christ Himself spoke of this in Jn. 14:1-3 (Read)
C. Compelling to the Banqueting House (Luke 14:15-24)
1. Read Text
2. Notice that a certain man bade many - supper was prepared and announcement made to COME.
3. However, many made excuses - “Farm, Cow, & Wife”
4. The Master of the House then said, go and compel the poor, maimed, halt (lame), and blind!
5. What a sad testimony of mankind! There is STILL ROOM!
6. Is this not a picture of the Grace of God offered today?
7. Notice vs. 24 - “For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper!”
C. Conditions of the Banqueting House (Luke 14:12-14)
1. What are the Conditions which must be met in order to be able to taste of the Supper?
2. The conditions are simply to Repent & Receive Christ!
3. So many people today want to make entrance to this supper a matter of self; works; merit!
4. Notice that the Lord told them to call the “poor, maimed, lame, and the blind”.
5. The invitation is quite simple - “COME; for all things are now ready!”
6. Does that sound as if there is a surcharge? No! Read Luke 12:14 - “…for they CANNOT Recompense thee!”
7. We are now living in the day in which men, women, boys, and girls are being invited to COME; Soon the invitation will be over and the Banquet Will Begin!
8. Have YOU COME to Jesus? Do YOU realize that Christ came to Seek & Save the Lost?
D. Consummation of the Banqueting House (S of S 2:4a)
1. According to 1 Thess. 4:13-18 and 1 Cor. 15:51-58, there is a day coming in which the Lord Jesus Christ will return for His Bride.
2. Certainly, the Apostle John had this “Banqueting House” in mind when he wrote Revelation 19:6-9 (Read)
3. Every blood washed child of God will be there by the Grace of God! Like the Shulamite, we too shall rejoice in that “He has brought me to the banqueting house!”
4. Will you not join the songwriter, “What a day that will be; When my Jesus I shall see. And I look upon His face, the One who saved me by His grace. And forever I shall with the One who died for me. What a day, glorious day that shall be!”
E. Today, Christ can bring YOU to the “Banqueting Table” - He wants to bring YOU to the “Supper of Salvation”.