Summary: I believe Jesus’ birthday wish would be that the world will know why He has come. Do you really know the love and sacrifice behind this gift?
We have our birthday wishes, but what would Jesus wish for on His birthday? What do you think He would really want?
• To have a party where there are lots of food? A great time of feasting? A year-end holiday filled with fun and joy? Lots of presents?
• Or do you think He would really want the world to know why He has come.
It was no ordinary birth. Jesus, the Son of God, took on human likeness and was born into our world.
• In fact, He was not merely born, He was sent from heaven with a mission at hand.
• The world needs to know. Jesus wants you and I to know, that there is an important purpose to His coming.
• Luke 19:10 “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”
• John 10:10 “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
• John 3:16-17 “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.”
Take that purpose away, and you would have taken all the celebrations away.
• Without Christ, there is no Christmas. Without Him, there is nothing to celebrate. He is the reason for this season.
• Why would we celebrate a Christmas without Christ? You might as well celebrate my birthday, or anyone else’s birthday, and make it a happy time.
A 4-year-old boy, Spencer was at the mall with his mom. He saw many children queuing up to see a dressed-up Santa Claus.
Having been brought up in the church, with the innocence of a child, the boy asked his mom, “Where is the line to see Jesus? If Christmas is Jesus’ birthday, why don’t we see Him more?”
His grandpa was surprised by this question, and was so inspired that he jotted down the words to a song in a few minutes. The song is, “Where is the line to see Jesus?”
[The grandpa Steve Haut plays the piano and his daughter Becky Kelly sang it.]
SONG: Where’s The Line To See Jesus? By Becky Kelley
[1st stanza] Christmas time was approaching; the snow is starting to fall,
Shoppers choosing their presents, people filling the mall,
Children waiting for Santa with excitement and glee.
A little boy tugged my sweater, looked up and asked me,
Chorus: Where’s the line to see Jesus? Is He here at the store?
If Christmas time is His birthday, why don’t we see Him more?
Where’s the line to see Jesus? He was born for me.
Santa Claus brought me presents, but Christ gave His life for me.
[3rd stanza] In the blink of an eye, at the sound of His trump,
We’ll all stand in line at His throne.
Every knee shall bow down, every tongue will confess,
That Jesus Christ is Lord. [repeat chorus]
If Jesus is the star for this season, don’t you think we need to give Him a thought? Not just a little thought, but a serious thought?
• Christmas is special precisely because Christ is special. He is divine.
• He came with a mission, just ONE goal, and that is to pay the penalty for our sin so that we can be reconciled with God.
Without Him, we would still be lost today, in our ignorance and sin.