Summary: His Masked Personality
His Masked Personality
Isaiah 53 v. 1 & 2 "Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him."
1. The Condemnation of Unbelief
Note - The Challenge of:-
(a) THE WILL OF GOD - v. 1 "Who hath believed."
John 17 v. 3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
(1) The Wonder of Life Eternal - "this is life eternal"
(2) The Wisdom of Life Eternal - "that they might know thee the only true God"
(3) The Way to Life Eternal - "and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent"
(b) THE WORD OF GOD - "our report"
2 Timothy 3 v. 14 - 17 "But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
Paul reminding Timothy of:-
(1) The Privilege of the Scriptures - v. 15 "from a child"
(2) The Power of the Scriptures - "able to make thee wise unto salvation"
(3) The Principle of the Scriptures "through faith in Jesus Christ"
(4) The Purity of the Scriptures - v. 16 "all scripture is given by inspiration of God"
(5) The Profit of the Scriptures "is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"
(6) The Purpose of the Scriptures - v. 17 "That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
(c) THE WORK OF GOD - v. 1 "To whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?"
Isaiah 52 v. 10 "The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God."
Ephesians 2 v. 8 - 10 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
Paul highlights the:-
(1) Means of Salvation - "by grace through faith"
(2) Merits of Salvation - "not of yourselves, it is the gift of God"
(3) Marks of Salvation - v. 10 "created in Christ Jesus unto good works"
John 14 v. 10 & 11 "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake."
2. The Cause of Unbelief - v. 2 "as a tender plant, as a root out of the dry ground"
(a) The Meekness of the Savoiur - "tender plant"
Philippians 2 v. 6 - 8 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."
v. 7 "took upon him the form of a servant"
(b) The Miracle of the Saviour - "root out of a dry ground"- picture of hopelessness
John 1 v. 10 & 11 "He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not."
John 1 v. 14 "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth."
(c) The Mystery of the Saviour - "he hath no form nor comliness"
Matthew 2 v. 1 & 2 "Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him."