Summary: A Christmas sermon on the wonderful names of Christ
His Name Is Wonderful
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isa 9:6)
Introduction: A look at “names” in the Bible.
A. Names are important to God.
· (Gen 1:5,8,10) God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day .. God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning--the second day.. God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.
· Adam’s first job = naming the animals.
B. Names often relate to some aspect of ones birth.
· Isaac = laughing (Gen. 18:9-15; 21:1-8)
· Jacob = deceiver (Gen. 27:36)
· Moses = drawn out (Ex. 2:10)
· Jabez = sorry (1 Cor. 4:9-10)
C. Names and titles often relate to some aspect of one’s life or character.
· Alexander the Great
· William the Conqueror
· Simon the Zealot
· John the Baptist
D. His name is JESUS = “Jehovah Saves”.
· (Acts 4:12) Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
· (Phil 2:10) that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
I. THERE IS WONDER IN HIS NAME. “Wonderful”
A. His Birth was wonderful.
B. His Life was wonderful.
C. His Teaching was wonderful.
D. His Miracles were wonderful.
E. His Transfiguration was wonderful.
F. His Death was wonderful.
G. His Resurrection was wonderful
H. His Ascension was wonderful.
II. THERE IS WISDOM IN HIS NAME. “Counselor”
A. As your counselor He is always available.
B. As your counselor He gives you His undivided attention.
C. As your counselor He comforts you.
D. As your counselor He guides you in the right way.
E. As your counselor He enables you.
III. THERE IS WEALTH IN HIS NAME. “Mighty God”
A. Jesus has been given all power in heaven and earth. (Mat. 28:18)
B. He created it all.
· The molecules in one drop of water, if they became grains of sand, could build a hi-way ½ mile wide, one foot thick, from New York to San Diego.
· Infinitesimally small yet inconceivably large is the work in that name.
C. Incredible as it may seem: the Child & Son is the Mighty God.
D. As the Mighty God, He is NOT LESS than the Almighty.
· (Rev 1:8) "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."
E. Nothing is too hard for Him.
IV. THERE IS WORSHIP IN HIS NAME. “Everlasting Father”
A. If you Know Jesus, you know the Father.
B. As Father He is Life Giver.
C. He has given us His nature.
D. If He is not God, it would be blasphemy and idolatry to worship Him.
V. THERE IS WELCOME IN HIS NAME. “Prince of Peace”
A. He came to give us rest.
· (Mat 11:28) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
B. No Jesus, No Peace.
C. Three areas of peace provided: