Summary: Instruction on healing and prayer and how God wants to use the church for healing today.
History Repeats Itself
February 24, 2002
• When we hear the phrase “History Repeats Itself” we normally assume that is a negative thing.
• Granted, some things in History do repeat themselves and they are negative.
• [Illustration: Show picture of leisure suit, and other odd things from the past. comment on some things in History we definitely do not want to be repeated]
• The Old Testament is full of stories of how the Israelites went through a cycle of rebellion, repentance, and then deliverance by God. The book of Judges is a good example of that.
• Nevertheless, there are some things in History that DO repeat themselves and are very positive.
• In 1974 a lady approached then Pastor Meredith Garrett and asked for prayer for healing in accordance with James 5:14. She had a growth on her jaw and simply believed that if she was sick she was to obey the teaching of God’s word and call the elders of the church together to anoint her with oil and pray for her healing. To make a long story short, she was healed and this was verified by a doctor.
• That event in 1974, catapulted Bayview Baptist Church into the Charismatic Renewal movement and it was a turning point for the ministry of the church.
• That kind of history is worth repeating! God is still in the business of repeating that kind of history here and will continue to do so in the future.!
• Let’s look closely at this sometimes controversial passage of Scripture and see what God has to say about Prayer and healing today.
Two Facts of Life (v. 13)
2. Happiness—Sing Praises. [Illustration: Sing If You Are Happy And You Know It with congregation]
Two More Facts of Life (vv. 14-16)
a. We are commanded to ask for prayer and pray for one another when we get sick.
[Illustration: The simple teaching of James 5 had long struck fear into my “Southern Baptist” pastoral heart…Sick people read the Bible in hopeful simplicity. It was inevitable that someone would one day sit in my office and sak me to pray this prayer—and expect it to work! Roger Barrier from The Kingdom and The Power, chapter 8 p. 219.]
Pastor Barrier went on to tell the story of a lady with cancer who came to him for prayer. He relates his struggle of not knowing what to do. Eventually he calls his deacons and they anoint her with oil and pray for the woman. During the prayer meeting nothing happened. However, early in the morning hours the next day the lady was awakened by a strange sensation over her body. The Lady was healed!]
a. We are commanded to confess our sins to each other.
b. Sometimes, and I repeat sometimes sin that is not dealt with can be a hindrance to healing.
O LORD, rebuke me not in Your wrath,
And chasten me not in Your burning anger.
2 For Your arrows have sunk deep into me,
And Your hand has pressed down on me.
3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of Your indignation;
There is no health in my bones because of my sin.
When Prayer gets results
1. You have to ask to receive.