Summary: Keep hold unto whom God has promised.
3 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.
2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth
Hold on to what you have
1) Addresses the angel of the church - Rev 3:7
2) He here addresses the church as one – The church of Philadelphia, which means Brotherly love, a wealthy church and a commercially important church. Who is holy and true; as he who has the key of David, and who can shut and no one can open, and open and no one can shut. Rev 3:7
22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.
3) The usual declaration that he knows their works - Which he has found that they had strength, though but a little and had kept his word. Rev 3:8
4) The declaration that he would constrain some who professed that they were Jews, but who were of the synagogue of Satan, to come and humble themselves before them. Rev 3:9
5) A Particular Promise to the church - He would keep them in the hour of temptation that was coming to try all that dwelt upon the earth. Rev 3:10
6) The command address - to them as to the other churches. He solemnly enjoins it on them to see that no one should take their crown, or deprive them of the reward which he would give to his faithful followers. Revelation 3:11 [Behold, I come quickly] these things will shortly take place; and I am coming with consolations and rewards to my faithful followers, and with judgments to my adversaries.
7) A General Promise - in view of the circumstances in Philadelphia, to all who should overcome, Rev 3:12. They would be made a pillar in the temple of God, and go no more out. They would have written on themselves the name of his God, and the name of the holy city-showing that they were inhabitants of the heavenly world.
1) God is able
2) God is willing to keep us from falling and to present us faultless before the presence of his Glory.
Not as those who never have been faulty, but as those who, but for God’s mercy, and a Savior’s sufferings and merits, might most justly have been condemned long ago. All sincere believers were given him of the Father; and of all so given him he has lost none, nor will lose any one. Now, our faults fill us with fears, doubts, and sorrows; but the Redeemer has
undertaken for his people, that they shall be presented faultless. Where there is no sin, there will be no sorrow; where there is the perfection of holiness, there will be the perfection of joy. Let us more often look up to Him who is able to keep us from falling, to improve as well as maintain the work he has wrought in us, till we shall be presented blameless before the presence of his glory. Then shall our hearts know a joy beyond what earth can afford; then shall God also rejoice over us,
and the joy of our compassionate Savior be completed. To Him who has so wisely formed the scheme, and will faithfully and perfectly accomplish it, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever.
Psalm 21:8 - Our hand will lay hold on all your enemies; your right hand will seize your foes.