Summary: To identify the Holy Spirit as a person not a force.
The Holy Spirit - Part 1
1. The Person Of The Holy Spirit
a. Basic Scriptures
John 14:16,17 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever; 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
Luke 12:10-12 And anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but to him who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven. 11 Now when they bring you to the synagogues and magistrates and authorities, do not worry about how or what you should answer, or what you should say. 12 For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say. (NKJV unless stated otherwise)
John 14:26 But the Holy Spirit will come and help you, because the Father will send the Spirit to take my place. The Spirit will teach you everything and will remind you of what I said while I was with you.
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
Acts 1:16 Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus;
Acts 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?
b. Strong’s Concordance
Strong defines the Holy Spirit in this way, The third person of the triune God is the Holy Spirit, who is coequal and coeternal with the Father and the Son. He is sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises:
* His personality and character (the Holy Spirit);
* His work and power (the Spirit of Truth).
* He is never referred to as a depersonalised force ... never It.
* Scripture is very clear when it refers to the person of the Holy Spirit or His power
2. Seven Things About The Holy Spirit
* Jesus is the Baptiser in the Holy Spirit.
* The Holy Spirit couldn’t come while Jesus was on the Earth.
* The Holy Spirit is our help and advocate now Jesus is not physically on the Earth.
* The Holy Spirit is our teacher, revealing Jesus to us.
* He is our source of power to fulfil the Great Commission.
* He is the giver of precious gifts
* When Jesus ascended He sent the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
a. Jesus is the Baptiser in the Holy Spirit
John 1:33 Before this I didn’t know who he was. But the one who sent me to baptise with water had told me, You will see the Spirit come down and stay on someone. Then you will know that he is the one who will baptise with the Holy Spirit.?
b. The Holy Spirit couldn’t come while Jesus was on the Earth
We had, and could only have, temporary glimpses of the Holy Spirit during the Old testament times, and through the lives of the Disciples to this point.
John 7:39 Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit, who would be given to everyone who had faith in him. The Spirit had not yet been given to anyone, since Jesus had not yet been glorified.