Summary: Except the Lord Builds the House, the Laborers Labor in Vain
1) A house must be built by someone - Many people claim to be builders, few are craftsman. God makes it very clear that for our homes there is Only one true craftsman "the Lord”. Try as we might (and we do) our labor is in vain unless we make the Lord our general contractor. He provides the plans. He provides the material and he supplies the power. Jesus said I will build my church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18 (Barrenness, Lack of Experience, Resource Limitations, Delays in Fulfillment, Magnitude of the Problem, Hugeness of the Task)
2) A house must be built on something. (foundation) -1 cor.3:10-11 A house that’s not built on the right foundation may look good for a season, but sooner or later the truth will be known. (Word – Brick, Blood – Cement, Spirit - Water)
3) A house must be built with something. 1cor.3:10 says, ‘Take heed how you build’, don’t cut corners. 1cor.3:10- -15 many people begin on a good foundation but then they start taking shortcuts and use shoddy material to build with. Jesus said that his word - obeyed and applied assures us of a house that cannot be moved. (Matthew 7: 24-29)
4) A house built must be united. Ephesians 2:19-22- Can You Imagine building your walls standing them in place, attaching them to the floor but not joining them at the corners? Jesus prayed that we would operate as one and be unified. Jesus also tells us in Matthew 12:25 that every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation and every city or "house" divided against itself shall not stand.
5) A house must be guarded. Except the lord keep the City the watchman waketh but in vain. Luke 11:21. We have to be watchman in our homes and in our church (Priest, Prophet, King). Satan seeks to infiltrate us on all sides we must be on guard.
6) A house is not a home unless it is occupied. Luke 11 24-26. What was this person’s mistake? He had cleaned His house (quit a few bad habits, cleaned up his speech, started going to Sunday morning services). The problem was that this person got a little religion but never received a new relationship. He never got a new occupant. He never received Jesus into his heart. Romans 8:9. You are not in the flesh but in the spirit, if so be the spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man has not the spirit of Christ he is none of his. The scripture says the last state of this man was worse than the first. To be a Christian is to be in Christ and Christ in you (Christ in you the hope of Glory col.1:27) without him we are lost no matter how much house cleaning we do, our house is still not a home of the spirit until we let go and receive Jesus as Lord and savior.