Summary: GOD’S PLAN FOR HUMANITY IS STILL MARRIAGE!
HOME SWEET HOME
I CORINTHIANS 7: 1-17
OCTOBER 27, 2002
INTRODUCTION: Internet: Guide to dating and marriage – Kid’s advice
TRANSITION THOUGHT: Last week, Bake started us on a journey learning about interpersonal relationships. A critical spirit is not pleasing to God, Bake taught us. This week, as we continue with this theme, we are going to get down to the nitty gritty. Today we talk about the relationship between a husband and a wife and what scripture teaches us concerning our individual roles. As Tony read our scripture for today, you possible heard some interesting language and thus we must discuss exactly what this text is teaching us about this powerful dynamic called marriage. What advice, unlike that of our 10-year-old advisors, does the word of God give us through the teaching of the Apostle Paul?
THESIS SENTENCE: GOD’S PLAN FOR HUMANITY IS STILL MARRIAGE!
I. MARRIAGE AND INTIMACY (vv. 1-7)
ILLUSTRATION: SHENIA TWAIN SINGS A SONG THAT A LOT OF FOLKS USE AT WEDDING ENTITLED, “FROM THIS MOMENT ON.” HERE THESE WORDS OF HEART FELT LOVE…
A. INTIMACY IS NOT THE OPPOSITE OF HOLY LIFE!
1. Context is always the key. First we must note that the Apostle Paul is responding to a question asked!
2. What was going on with these new believers? They had come to faith in Christ and were so hungry to live for Him; they were willing to deny their most basic needs and the blessing of marriage.
3. What does the language really say here? The KJV makes it a lot clearer than the NIV. The KJV reads, “Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.”
4. The issue was concerning how Christian Married folks should act!
5. The Apostle Paul tells them they should act like married folks! This in no way takes away from serving God or being Holy!!
B. INTIMACY IS THE PROTECTION OF A HOLY LIFE!
1. In theory this may work, but not in practicality!
2. The Apostle Paul states that abstinence within the marriage relationship will only lead to MORE IMMORALITY that is already rampant in the Greco—Roman culture.
3. Verses 3-7 spell this out in detail! The issue is mutuality!
4. Ephesians 5:21 reads, “Submit to one another out of reference to Christ.” 5. Then this same text explains what this looks like. Our text in Corinthians is also an explanation of what mutual submission looks like!
6. “The wife’s body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband’s body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.”
7. Mutuality is the key. The GK for “Mutual Consent” is the same word we translate as “Symphony” which is translated as “of having one voice.”
8. The key issue here is that to abstain from a normal intimate relationship hinders and does not help one to be Holy!
Aside: Within the context of our text, this was a mutual concern. This was not an issue brought up by women, but by men, who asked the question, “It is good for a man not to touch a woman.”