Summary: God wants us to give honour to whom honour is due, and specifically we are going to look at the importance of honouring our mothers. When we honour those God has placed in authority over our lives, we attract God’s favour and blessing.
HONOR AND HONORING MOTHERS
INTRO: WHY GOD MADE MOMS:
Answers given by 2nd grade school children:
Why did God make mothers?
1. She’s the only one who knows where the scotch tape is.
2. Mostly to clean the house.
3. To help us out of there when we were getting born.
How did God make mothers?
1. He used dirt, just like for the rest of us.
2. Magic plus super powers and a lot of stirring.
3. God made my Mom just the same like he made me. He just used bigger parts.
What ingredients are mothers made of?
1. God makes mothers out of clouds and angel hair and everything nice in the world and one dab of mean.
2. They had to get their start from men’s bones. Then they mostly use string, I think.
What did mom need to know about dad before she married him?
1. His last name.
2. She had to know his background. Like is he a crook? Does he get drunk on beer?
3. Does he make at least $800 a year? Did he say NO to drugs and YES to chores?
“Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise: that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.” (Ephesians 6:1-3).
HUMOUR: A little boy forgot his lines in a Sunday school presentation. His mother was in the front row to prompt him. She gestured and formed the words silently with her lips, but it did not help. Her son’s memory was blank. Finally, she leaned forward and whispered the cue, "I am the light of the world." The child beamed and with great feeling and a loud clear voice said, "My mother is the light of the world."
THE BIG IDEA: God wants us to give honour to whom honour is due, and specifically we are going to look at the importance of honouring our mothers. When we honour those God has placed in authority over our lives, we attract God’s favour and blessing.
• This morning, we want to honour and celebrate the gift God has given us in MOTHERS
I. WHAT IS HONOUR?
• Honour is defined as: “value, appreciate, esteem, respect, regard favourably. To value, to see as weighty and precious.” (John Bevere, Honor’s Reward).
• We are living in day and age when authority is no longer honoured. (media influence)
• God’s Word, however, commands us to give honour where honour is due (Rom. 13:7).
II. WHO ARE WE TO HONOUR?
1. PARENTS: “Honour your father and mother.” (Eph. 6:2).
This is the first authority we are placed under. Being attacked in the media!
2. CIVIL OR GOVERNMENT LEADERS: “Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.” (Romans 13:1). (Along with this we include police officers).
STORY: Of when we went to Parliament Hill in Ottawa for The Cry prayer meeting two summers ago. Faytene Kryskow’s ministry honours elected officials.
3. EMPLOYERS: First Timothy 6:1. (Along with this we include coaches & teachers).
STORY: The challenge coaching my soccer team = disrespect for the referees.
4. CHURCH LEADERS: “Honor those who are your leaders in the Lord’s work. They work hard among you and warn you against all that is wrong. Think highly of them and give them your wholehearted love because of their work.” (1 Thess. 5:12-13).