Summary: Staying on Fire for God is a struggle but it is also possible: this message will encourage you practically about how to stay passionate for Him!
Not growing cold
Lots of verses - 2 reasons - 1) scripture interpret scripture, 2) for you to learn them. Take notes on what impacts you.
1. What a year!
a. Our theme verse -
i. James 4:8 - “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”
1. I hope you’ve grown a ton this year.
2. I hope that continues through the summer.
2. As I think about the end of the semester, Eph.6:24 comes to mind. It says - “Grace to all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with an undying love.”
a. We’ve discussed what it means to love God this year:
i. Mk.12:30 - “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”
1. Heart - emotions, desires, affections, etc.
2. Soul - self image, character, personality, etc.
3. Mind - thoughts, intellect, ideas, etc.
4. Strength - abilities, talents, energy, physical abilities, etc.
b. Eph.6:24 clarifies this some, describing this love as undying.
i. GK: Aphtharsia - “incorruptible, immortal, imperishable, not liable to decay, perpetual and continual, pure and sincere.”
1. Basically, it is telling me to love God with all my heart, soul, mind and strength and with a love that is incorruptible, immortal, imperishable, not liable to decay, perpetual and continual, pure and sincere.
2. I wish I could say that was always true of me.
a. Oftentimes, I don’t love Him wholeheartedly and my love often grows luke warm or even cold.
b. Mt.24:12 - describes this saying the love of many will grow cold.
c. Rev.2:4 - Jesus challenged us on this very issue warning us about forgetting our 1st love.
3. Rev.3:16 - “So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot nor cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”
a. Laodicea - Water from hot springs in Hieropolis, 6 miles south piped in. Their drinking water was luke warm and full of minerals - disgusting.
i. Neither cold and refreshing or hot and relaxing.
b. Why is luke-warm so bad?
i. Consequences for you:
1. No happy disobedient Christians.
2. Miss purpose/life of futility.
ii. Consequences for others:
1. They have to put up with you.
a. Wife, kids, friends, etc.
iii. Consequences in eternity.
c. Jer.30:21 - I want to be devoted to being close to Him.
i. Jn.15:1-8 - I want to abide in Him (describe) experiencing what He’s made me for.
1. Abide - much fruit, fruit that will last (v. 5,16)
4. How do I keep from growing cold?
a. Rom.12:11 - Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
b. So I preserve that zeal by serving Him.
i. Summer application ideas.
c. I serve Him out of a heart for Him.
i. Pr.19:2, Rom.10:2 - Zeal without knowledge is not good.
1. Phil.1:9 - Love must grow in knowledge and depth of insight.
a. Marriage example.
2. 1 Cor.8:1 - That knowledge must be based in love.
a. Relational knowledge vs. intellectual knowledge.
i. A-posteriori vs. A-priori.
b. Live to know Him better this year; not to know more theology.
ii. So, know and love God more than ever (time with Him, communicating with Him, fellowship with other believers) then, apply that, serving Him.