Summary: A sermon on handling Discouragement. Based on Rick Warrens book, Answers to lifes difficult questions.
HOW CAN I HANDLE DISCOURAGEMENT?
What can you do when you have the worlds deadliest decease?
Cancer, is fatal but atleast the Doctor can tell you when your going to die…
AIDS, right now with technology its not that Fatal (Magic Johnson), its not that contagious.
Let me give you some hints…..
1. Its Universal, it can happen to almost everybody that can already think for themselves. From 2- 2,000 years old.
2. Its recurring it can happen, again and again and again—no not mumps.
3. Its highly contagious—just be with the person for a while, you need not touch him or talk to him, kahit na just looking at him, you can catch the decease.
4. It starts with the letter D and ends with the letters ment.
Answer. DISCOURAGEMENT! Yes, It sometimes it Fatal, it has ruined many lives, infected Millions or Billions of people just by being with them. All of us must have experienced it, and most probably it will happen again to us, that’s the BAD NEWS.
The GOOD NEWS is that DISCOURAGEMENT is curable—Read NEHEMIAH 4
Nehemiah was the leader of a group of Jews that had returned to Israel from Babylon to rebuild the Walls around Jerusalem. When they started they were filled with fervor, zeal, and excitement about the project. But after working they also got discouraged.
Today, we will try to see why people get discouraged, and how to overcome that discouragement-- what to do when we feel like giving up. Vs. 10-12 “Meanwhile, the people in Judah said, "The strength of the laborers is giving out, and there is so much rubble that we cannot rebuild the wall." Also our enemies said, "Before they know it or see us, we will be right there among them and will kill them and put an end to the work." 12 Then the Jews who lived near them came and told us ten times over, "Wherever you turn, they will attack us."
I. Why Do People Get Discouraged?
1. They are just plain tired.—Fatigue! “the people in Judah said, "The strength of the laborers is giving out” In other words they have worked a long time and were physically exhausted. Worn out--- Physically and mentally drained. – there are many times that people think that their discouragement is Spiritual, but the truth is its physical, they just need a break. Sometimes the most Spiritual thing to do is to rest.
Illust: I like the rest day last week, im glad there was a rest day. You need it, he wants you to have it. We were designed to have rest. I saw people lying down, I was happy for themJ
When do fatigue and discouragement come? Vs 6. 6 So we rebuilt the wall till all of it reached half its height
You get discouraged mid-way of the project, mid-way of the contract, mid-wqy of the work. Everybody works hard at first., for the people worked with all their heart. Why? Because of the newness of the prokect, but then it gets boring, routine ,then ritual, then your in a rut.
Illustration: Me painting a room, sarap planuhin, gandang isipin, I was so excited! Halfway through, I looked around and said. Im getting tired but im only ½ done, madami pa ito amd whats more dami ko pang lilinisin pagkatapos! Yaay!