Summary: This sermon looks at two key areas to watch for God’s movement in our daily lives.
OPENING QUESTION: How can I see more of God moving in my daily life?
- How can I invite Him into my daily life?
- Am I on my own living my life?
STARTING POINT: A starting point is believing God is active every day and letting Him out of the Sunday morning box.
- Luke 1:8.
- cf. to Mary’s experience.
- In addition to the Sunday morning box, some people leave God in a “quiet time” box.
- God is always at work.
TWO BROAD PLACES TO WATCH FOR GOD IN DAILY LIFE:
1. In the “chance” events.
- v. 9 – “chosen by lot.”
- This was literally a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a priest. Because of the number of priests, you were only allowed to do this once in your life.
- Nothing is a surprise to God.
- Providence v. chance.
- “Divine appointments.”
- Sometimes what seems like chance is God-orchestrated.
- I don’t mean here that we need to read hidden meaning into every single tiny detail of our lives.
a. You run unexpectedly into someone at Walmart.
b. Something breaks at the house, ruining your plans.
c. You happen to catch a virus at work that puts you on your back for two days.
- A reminder: just because it makes your life harder doesn’t mean that it’s not from God. Just because it inconveniences you doesn’t mean it’s not from God.
- What if the struggle or difficulty is not impeding God’s will, but is God’s will? What if it’s formative?
2. In the “custom” events.
- v. 9 – “according to the custom.”
- A.k.a. mundane.
- Seeing past routine.
- Sometimes we presume that God only works in the dramatic.
- Also, God meeting us in the midst of old customs. Our taste is often for what is the latest trend, but sometimes God meets us amid the ancient.
- Also, God has to meet us where we are. As a person or a church, He will come to us in our “custom” in order to get us where He wants us to go.
a. Working with integrity in a workplace where no one seems to care.
b. Loving when you don’t feel like it.
c. Not overlooking that person that you see every day.
PAYING ATTENTION: What can I use to wake me up?
- We need to wake up to the possibilities of what God is doing all around us everyday.
- Some options:
a. Note card in your Bible for daily reminder: “Father, let me see You working today.”
b. Alarm on phone at various points in the day.
c. Rubber band around wrist (or something else that you’d see).
- How do I tell when it’s God?
- You don’t have to have magical discernment.
- Just be open and obeying.