Summary: How Can We Repay The Lord?
How Can We Repay The Lord? - Psalm 116 v 1 - 14
1) Praise Him Thru Our Devotion - 116:1 I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. 2 Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.
a) Devotion Creates A Duty To Prayer - 1
b) Devotion Creates A Determination To Persevere - 2 c) Devotion Creates A Desire To Praise - 1 I love the LORD
2) Praise Him Thru Our Dilemmas - 116:3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.
a) A Deadly Situation - 3a
b) A Desperate Situation - 3b c) A Difficult Situation - 3c I found trouble and sorrow.
3) Praise Him Thru Our Dependence - 116:4 Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.
a) Our Dependence On The Lord - 4a
b) Our Directive To The Lord - 4 O LORD, I beseech thee c) Our Deliverance By The Lord - 4 deliver my soul
4) Praise Him Thru Our Deliverance - 116:5-8
a) God Lifts The Believer - 5-7
(1) Deliverance Highlights The Lord’s Sovereignty - 5 Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful.
(2) Deliverance Highlights The Lord’s Simplicity - 6 The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.
(3) Deliverance Highlights The Lord’s Sufficiency - 7 Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
b) God Liberates The Believer - 8 For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.
5) Praise Him Thru Our Decisions - 116:9-14
a) Our Practice - 9 I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
b) Our Pronouncements - 10 I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted:
c) Our Principles - 11 I said in my haste, All men are liars.
d) Our Preference - 12 What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me?
e) Our Persuasion - 13a I will take the cup of salvation, f) Our Prayers - 13b and call upon the name of the LORD.
g) Our Performance - 14 I will pay my vows unto the LORD now in the presence of all his people.