Summary: Jesus knew that the golden rule benefits everyone, especially the first one to apply it
Why Jesus Urged Everyone to Live By the Golden Rule
Illustration:Most people wish to serve God -- but in an advisory capacity only.
Quoted in Sunday Express, London.
1. Jesus knew that the golden rule benefits everyone, especially the first one to apply it. The Lord Jesus said, "Do to others as you would have them do to you." (Luke 6:31) We are always guaranteed a blessing when we choose to give goodness instead of refusing to love until we have been loved first.
Ask the Lord to help you apply the golden rule to every relationship in your life and ministry.
2. Jesus knew that the golden rule is especially applicable when we are criticized by those who oppose us. The Lord Jesus said, "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." (Luke 6:27,28) The best way to win over those who oppose us is through the power of love.
Ask the Lord for a special measure of grace to help you love those who abuse you.
Illustration: In his book 70 X 7, The Freedom of Forgiveness, David Ugsberger tells of General William Booth, the founder of the salvation Army, who had lost his eyesight. His son Bramwell was given the difficult task of telling his father there would be no recovery. "Do you mean that I am blind?" the General asked. "I hear we must contemplate that," his son replied. The father continued,"I shall never see your face again?" "No, probably not in this world." "Bramwell," said General Booth, "I have done what I could for God and for His people with my eyes. Now I shall do what I can for God without my eyes."
David Ugsberger, 70 X 7, The Freedom of Forgiveness.
3. Jesus knew that the golden rule is especially needed in our giving. The Lord Jesus said, "Give to everyone who asks you." (Luke 6:30) It is often most difficult to give to people who probably will not be able to repay us. The great Shepherd knew that God’s love is best evidenced by loving people who give expecting nothing in return because they know their reward is in heaven.
Ask the Lord to help you give, realizing that freely we have received therefore, we should freely give.
4. Jesus knew that the golden rule is necessary to prevent vengeful feelings and actions. The Lord Jesus knew that Paul would write, "Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay, says the Lord." (Rom. 12:19) Ask the Lord to put you in the frame of mind to give good things, even to those who oppose you. Otherwise, you may be tempted to silently revenge.
5. Jesus knew that the golden rule applies especially between husbands and wives and families. The Lord Jesus said, "Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." When you feel wounded, hurt or wrongly criticized by your mate, remember how merciful and forgiving the Lord is to you.
Illustration:Whatever is done for God, without respect of its comparative character as related to other acts, is service, and only that is service. Service is, comprehensively speaking, doing the will of God. He is the object. All is for Him, for His sake, as unto the Lord, not as unto man. Hence, even the humblest act of humblest disciple acquires a certain divine quality by its being done with reference to Him.