Summary: If you struggle to understand how a loving God can exist with all the suffering and pain of life. This message is for you.
How Could a Loving God....
“God is Love” 1 John 4:7-10, 16
“God so loved that he gave” 9-10
7 Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 But anyone who does not love does not know God ? for God is love. 9 God showed how much he loved us by sending his only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 10 This is real love. It is not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.
One of the main objections to the faith is the problem of pain. The most haunting question we face concerns the problem of evil. Why is there evil in the world if there is a God? Why isn’t he doing something about it? Many assume that the existence of evil disproves the existence of God.
A Woman is "Battered" every 15 seconds.
· 1.3 Adult Women Are "Raped" Every Minute.
· 45 Americans were Killed in "Alcohol Related Traffic Crashes" Each Day in 1994.
· Approximately 6 Children Are Reported "Abused and Neglected In America Every 60 Seconds.
· There was a "Murder" Every 24 Minutes In 1985, and has only increased since.
· There is a "Robbery" Every 51 Seconds.
· There is a "Violent" Crime of Some Kind Every 18 Seconds.
· There is an "Aggravated Assault" Every 29 Seconds.
· There are 20 Employees "Murdered" and 18,000 "Assaulted" On The Job Every Week.
· A Recent CIA Report Estimates 2 Million Women and Children are "Sexually Trafficked" From All Over the World, Including the U.S. Each Year Into Prostitution and Pornography. They are sold to Brothels Where they are beaten and Raped.
· Natural Disasters, Disease and Third World Hunger.
God is all-powerful, loving, and perfect.
1. A perfect, loving God would create a universe that was perfect (e.g., no evil and suffering).
2. The universe is not perfect but contains evil and suffering.
Therefore, God does not exist.
A Good God would not allow or cause bad things to happen.
Bad things happen
Therefore God must not exist (Ken Ham p49 How Could a Loving God)
A preacher and an atheistic barber were once walking through the city slums. Said the barber to the preacher: "This is why I cannot believe in a God of love. If God was as kind and loving as you say, He would not permit all this poverty, disease, and squalor. He would not allow these poor bums to be addicted to dope and other character-destroying habits. No, I cannot believe in a God who permits these things."
The minister was silent until they met a man who was especially unkept and filthy. His hair was hanging down his neck and he had a half-inch of stubble on his face. Said the minister: "You can’t be a very good barber or you wouldn’t permit a man like that to continue living in this neighborhood without a haircut and a shave."
Indignantly the barber answered: "Why blame me for that man’s condition? I can’t help it that he is like that. He has never come in my shop. I could fix him up and make him look like a gentleman!"
Giving the barber a penetrating look, the minister said: "Then don’t blame God for allowing the people to continue in their evil ways, when He is constantly inviting them to come and be saved.