Summary: A Sermon on Bitterness and how to get help from the Word on that
Ex 15:20 – 21 Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took the
timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels
and with dances.
21. And Miriam answered them: “Sing to the LORD, for He has
triumphed gloriously! The horse and its rider He has thrown into the
Have you ever had days like this?
· When you feel that you can Grab tamborenes and sing to the Glory of God
· Women went out, dancing, rejoicing
Nearly a 1 000 000 woman
You may: Ask why where they so happy?
· The horse and its rider He has thrown into the sea!”
· Listen! This wasn’t just a few horses.
· Or Tinny men, This was the very best, cavalry.
· Best of Pharoa
Unfortunately these days don’t last for ever!
LOOK AT v 22
So Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea; then they went out into the
Wilderness of Shur. And they went three days in the wilderness and
found no water
· Al of a sudden they’re in the wilderness
· Wilderness typifies a place in life where you don’t want to be.
A Place of lonelyness.
· Shur means Wall.
· Have you ever came to a place that it felt as if you’re walking into a wall?
· Happened to them, just days after their victory dances
Have you ever had days like this?
LETS GO ON! V23
Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of
Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called
· Just as they think things can’t go worse this happens!
· Have you ever said in your life “things can’t go worse, surely! And then it gets worse.
· Everything looked so promising, but then it became worse.
· In fact it became bitter!.
That’s what I want to talk to you about today, Bitterness
More precisely about “Bitterness of the heart”.
Bitterness is a condition of the heart
Bitterness is not an enjoyable thing.
Job 5:2 For wrath kills a foolish man, and envy slays a simple one.
Just talk to a Doctor, he’ll tell you.
Bitterness is not good for your health.
Acts 8 : 22 – 23
Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the
thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are
poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”
· This is what Peter told Simon about his heart
· thought of your heart
· Bitterness leads to hardened hearts wich leads to wrath
Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says: “Today, if you will hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, In the day of trial
in the wilderness,
BACK TO Ex
V24 And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we
· You don’t see the promises of the Lord when you’re bitter
· When people murmur, and moan about anything.
· No peace in the Heart.
Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any
root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become
This is where we come to V25
This one of my favourate scriptures
This is a prophesy in action!
So he cried out to the LORD, and the LORD showed him a tree. When he
cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet.
This is the remedy against bitterness.
1. So he cried out to the LORD (Pray)
2. LORD showed him a tree. (This showed toward Jesus hanging on the cross)
3. When he cast it into the waters
My friend you need Jesus in your heart to make your heart sweet.
There is a commandment attached to this:
V26 and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the LORD your God
and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and
keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I
have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the LORD who heals you.”
Why don’t you throw a log of wood into your heart? Today!
This is what He came to do, -- Set the captives free:
Luk 4:18 “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed;