Summary: I have often wondered how moms juggle and handle all the things that come their way as a mother. But we need to be reminded that God created moms to be who they are and He empowers them to do some impossible tasks. Let’s look at three Biblical moms today,
The Church 12 Part 3
Thesis: The Bible clearly supports and expects Christians to be a part of the church. Church is a community of believers who come together on the Lords Day to worship God and to support each other. Scripture does not show Paul, Silas or Peter going into a city just to make believers and then after conversion sending them home to be lone ranger believers instead these new believers - the disciples of Jesus started churches. They united together to worship, to fellowship, to serve the Lord together, to help each other and to spread the Message of Jesus.
1. (7th reason)Because The Church operates in the Spiritual Gifts of Holy Spirit for the sake of the Body of Christ (inward).
b. Scripture Texts:
i. I Corinthians 12:1 "Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant...4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit...7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good..."
ii. 1 Corinthians 14: "1 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts...26 What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done for the strengthening of the church...40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."
iii. Romans 12:1-21:
1. The gifts are bestowed – placed in individuals within the church for a purpose a divine reason:
a. The Body of Christ and their spiritual gifts are to edify the church and it’s people including leadership.
b. The gifts are to be in operation within the church to build up the church not tear it down.
c. The spiritual gifts of the members of the church are to be used to strengthen the church and make it more powerful in its impact on the world’s belief systems – this is done to see personal lives transformed and community transformation.
c. A church which is flowing in the spiritual gifts and being led by the Holy Spirit will transform the world with the message and the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
i. I Corinthians 14:12 ‘Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.”
1. Are you using your gifts to build up the church?
d. Highlight Wagner’s Spiritual gifts test and talk about the gifts from his list.
i. Show test booklet.
2. (8th reason)Because The Church is a place where people are being baptized and testifying to what the Lord has done in their lives (Acts 2:38, 41) (upward and inward and outward).
a. See the sequence in the word Repent and be Baptized
i. Acts 2:38,41:
1. 38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call...” 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
b. This is what our Baptismal service is about - This is what church is about - it’s being obedient to fulfill the Great Commission of the Lord.