Summary: A look at the four places in John where the word "paraclete" is used and how each shares a way the Holy Spirit comforts us.
HOW EXACTLY DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT COMFORT US?
The Greek word "paraclete" is used only four times in John and they all occur within three chapters. These four uses tell us four ways that the Holy Spirit comforts us.
1. We are comforted because we know He won't leave us hanging.
- This allows us to know that He will never leave us. Even when we don't feel His presence we can know that He's promised He'd never leave.
2. We are comforted by the practical, insightful guidance we have.
- When we face uncertainty in our decisions, we have this promise of help from the Holy Spirit.
3. We are comforted because we don't have to witness alone.
- It can be intimidating to witness, but we have the comfort of knowing that the Holy Spirit is at work before, during, and after anything we say.
4. We are comforted because He stirs up people's hearts.
- John 16:7-10.
- This world is heading in the wrong direction, but the Spirit is working to convict.