Summary: An explanation of the New Testament words for sin: harmatia, parabasis, paraptoma, anomia, and opheilema and means of overcoming them.
"No one born of God continues to deliberately, knowingly and habitually practices sin, for God’s nature abides in him. His principle of life, the divine sperm, remains permanently within him and he cannot practice sinning because he is born of God... No one who does not practice righteousness, who does not conform to God’s will in purpose, thought and action is of God , neither is anyone who does not love his brother his fellow believer in Christ."
Quote: Sin hurts. I would not consume poison or jump out in front of a truck, why then would I sin knowing that he who sows to his own flesh reaps corruption?
Why do you suppose that so many people struggle with the sins of omission, commission, faulty disposition and attitudes as well as presumptuous sins? Perhaps it the failure to appropriate the new life of Christ in us through faith. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world. Active faith facilitates the putting away of disbelief, disobedience and destructive thinking patterns. True faith has the miraculous capability to help us realize that in the world we will have tribulation but we can be of good cheer because Christ has overcome the world, the flesh and the devil and through His power we can too. (John 16:33 (quickview) )
Illustration: What Happens to a Backslider?
Attention-getter: The Christian who harbors secret sin in his life is looking for trouble.
1 John 1:8-9 (quickview) —”If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
When a True Christian sins, what happens?
1. His Fellowship with God is severed. David, when backslidden, mourned, “Day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer” (Psalm 32:4 (quickview) ). As Clouds hide the sun for days, so Sin comes between the soul and God.
2. The Joy of salvation is lost. One loses all relish for spiritual things: the heart is empty. David, in this condition, confessed, “My sin is ever before me” and “Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free Spirit” (Psalm 51:3 (quickview) , 12).
3. Power for service is lost. The Holy Spirit’s power is Essential for any real witness for Christ. It cannot be Faked. David prayed, “Thou desirest truth in the inward parts” and “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me” (Psalm 51:6 (quickview) , 10).
4. The Christian invites divine chastisement. Hebrews 12:6-7 (quickview) —”Whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth....What son is he whom the father chasteneth not?” (Psalm 89:32-33 (quickview) —”I will visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. Nevertheless, my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.”
5. There is loss of reward. (Read 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 (quickview) .) Out of Fellowship means out of Service—out of service means that one is failing to lay up treasures in heaven. He is building of “wood, hay, and stubble” which cannot endure the test of the rewarding day (1 Corinthians 3:12-15 (quickview) ). Many will be chagrined in that day by suffering Loss of Reward.