1. Jesus knew the His brother James would write, "We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, He is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." (James 3:2) The Lord Jesus was the only man who constantly controlled His speech. Ask the Lord to help you model your conversations after the pattern of the Master.
2. Jesus knew that where there are many words, transgressions are unavoidable, but he who restrains his lips is wise. The Lord Jesus used few words, but chose them carefully. Ask the Lord to help you weigh your words carefully so as to speak as Jesus would speak.
3. Jesus knew that whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. (I Pet. 3:8-10) The Lord knew that we would be judged by our words so He cautioned people about unbridled tongues. Ask the Lord to help you avoid speaking evil and deceitfully to anyone at anytime.
4. Jesus spoke with gentleness, but with authority. The great Savior never lost self-control. Jesus knew, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh words stirs up anger." (Prov. 15:1) The Lord Jesus controlled the tone of His voice. Ask the Lord to help you disagree with unrighteousness, but to speak without being harsh in tone.
5. Jesus knew that people who do not keep a reign on their tongue risk destroying their own credibility. The Lord knew that James would write, "If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless." (James 1:26) Ask the Lord to bridle your tongue even when your emotions seem to be out of control.
6. Jesus knew how damaging thoughtless words can be. The Lord Jesus was mindful of Proverbs 12:18 which says, "Thoughtless words can wound as deeply as any sword, but wisely spoken words can heal." Ask the Lord to let you more of a healer and less reckless with your speech, conversation and teaching.
7. Jesus knew the power of kind words and the destructive impact of cruel speech. The Lord Jesus was mindful of Proverbs 15:4 which says, "Kind words bring life, but cruel words crush your spirit." Ask the Lord to help you to be a little kinder, be a little blinder to the faults of those of others and to praise a little more."
8. Jesus knew that our basic integrity or lack of it is reflected in our speech. The Savior remembered the words of Solomon who wrote, "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are His delight." Ask the Lord to help you speak with 100% integrity in all occasions.
9. Jesus knew that there are great rewards for those who learn to control their speech. The great Shepherd brought to mind the words of Solomon, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat its fruits." (Prov. 18:21) Ask the Lord to help you
develop your mind, will and emotions in Christ so that you can reap the rich rewards of a fruitful tongue.
10. Jesus knew that most people would fail to control their tongues so He designed an effective strategy. Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven." (Matt. 5:11,12) Ask the Lord to remember your blessings and rewards that are yours when you patiently endure insults for His name's sake.
11. Jesus knew that our speech is tempered by God's sovereign control. The Lord Jesus said, "Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes' and your 'No,' No; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." (Matt. 5:36,37) Speak in a way that always defers to God's higher sovereign will. Do not overestimate, over exaggerate or over commit yourself beyond God's will.
12. Jesus taught us how to pray in clear, concise and Spirit led speech. "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (Matt. 6:9) Ask the Lord to help you follow the patterns of speech that are sure to be blessed by our Father in heaven.
13. Jesus taught us to speak the words of scripture in our conversations, teaching and devotions. The Lord Jesus knew the way to prosperity and success was to use speech to help us meditate day and night on His word. (Josh 1:8) Ask the Lord to help you use self-talk to help you meditate and obey His word.