Summary: When we know how intricately, wonderfully and purposefully a person is made, we appreciate that person much more.
Title: How She’s Made
Text: Proverbs 31:10-31
Thesis: When we know how intricately, wonderfully and purposefully a person is made, we appreciate that person much more.
“How It’s Made” is a really interesting TV Series that airs on the Discovery Channel with thirteen episodes a year, each with four segments. Shows have been planned through 2011. “How It’s Made” gives us a peek into how it is that everyday items are made.
I was fascinated by how they make the pre-cooked bacon in our supermarket meat cases.
• Pork bellies are placed in to a tumbler to soften the hide.
• Softened bellies are placed on a conveyor belt where the hide is sliced away from the meat… the hide drops onto another conveyor belt where it goes to be processed into pork rinds.
• A brine solution of salt, liquid smoke and other flavorings is mixed and injected through injection heads into each belly.
• Bellies are then hung on a rack and passed through a smoke bay where they are showered with more liquid smoke and other flavorings.
• Then they are placed in a low-heat oven for five hours before being blast chilled and placed in a cooler prior to slicing. The pork bellies are individually placed into chutes where they are sized and sliced.
• The slices then pass through a long microwave oven where the fat is cooked off to be used in pet food.
• The bacon strips are then rolled out onto a waxy paper and packaged so we can take home the bacon.
My point is this… even the most common of things are intricately and wonderfully made. A great deal of effort goes into the making of things like tooth picks, chewing gum and Frisbees.
People are no exception to the intricacies of process.
I. How God Made Us All
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are too wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place… “Psalm 139:13-15
We are all so intricately and wonderfully made.
In The Joy Luck Club, author Amy Tan describes her pro-choice friend’s reflections on abortion. She had almost aborted her daughter. When she found she was pregnant she was furious. She thought of her pregnancy as a growing resentment. She drug the father along with her when she went to the clinic where she was surprised that they made them watch a film. She was shocked when she saw those tiny little seven week old fetuses with their tiny, tiny, tiny translucent fingers and the fingers were moving. When her daughter was born she spoke of how remarkably perfect her little girl was but she was especially intrigued by the way she flexed and curled her fingers around her own finger. (Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club, Thorndike Press, 1989, p. 261)
God has done a marvelous thing in the making of every one of us. We are magical creatures right down to the way we curl our fingers.