Summary: The following are nine ways to allow the Holy Spirit to bring about changes that will please the Lord and allow you to bear greater fruit
How the Holy Spirit Brings Change (2 Cor. 3:18)
Quote: Everything continues in a state of rest unless it is compelled to change by forces impressed upon it.
Issac Newton, First Law of Motion.
"And all of us, as with unveiled face, because we continued to behold in the Word of God as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into HIs very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another for this comes from the Lord Who is the Spirit." (2 Cor. 3:18)
As human beings we normally do not like change, but it is inevitable. We all have to realize that we are either going to change for the better or for the worse, it is really a matter of choice.
Quote: "Any change, at any time, for any reason, is to be deplored."
The Duke of Cambridge (late 1800s).
The following are nine ways to allow the Holy Spirit to bring about changes that will please the Lord and allow you to bear greater fruit:
1. The Holy Spirit catalyzes change in people, situations and organizations. A catalyst is someone that precipitates change without being altered in the process. The Spirit has a clear view of every person’s heart and mind so that He knows what changes are necessary. Paul wrote,
"And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will." (Romans 8:27)
Application: Ask the Lord for help in catalyzing positive changes in the people, situation and organization you are working with.
Illustration: Some people will change when they see the light. Others change only when they feel the heat.
2. The Holy Spirit uses a variety of gifts, abilities and personalities to affect change. God is able to harmonize a wide diversity of gifts, talents and personalities for the most effective change in people and organizations. Paul wrote,
"There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men. Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good." (I Cor. 12:6,7)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you understand and cooperate with the way the Spirit is harmonizing a wide variety of peoples’ gifts, abilities and personalities to effect His changes in you and the church.
Illustration: Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
3. The Holy Spirit acts as an effective power broker in bringing about spiritual changes. The Holy Spirit’s authority is able to influence people with the wise use of His power in affecting change. Paul wrote,
"God has not given us the spirit of fear, but a Spirit of power, love and discipline." (2 Tim. 1:7)
Illustration: When the railroads were first introduced to the U.S., some folks feared that they’d be the downfall of the nation! Here’s an excerpt from a letter to then President Jackson dated January 31, 1829:
As you may know, Mr. President, ’railroad’ carriages are pulled at the enormous speed of 15 miles per hour by ’engines’ which, in addition to endangering life and limb of passengers, roar and snort their way through the countryside, setting fire to crops, scaring the livestock and frightening women and children. The Almighty certainly never intended that people should travel at such breakneck speed. Martin Van Buren Governor of New York
Application: Ask the Lord to help you appropriate the power given to you in the Spirit and in His precious promises
4. The Holy Spirit acts as a solution giver so that His changes will cause Christ’s kingdom and righteousness to grow. The Spirit does not quickly offer solutions to problems until people are really ready to obey His directives. Paul wrote,
"To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit." (I Cor. 12:8)
Application: Ask the Lord to connect you, by the Spirit’s empowerment, to people who are able to supply you with the wisdom, knowledge and skill to accomplish the very best of God’s purposes, plans and processes.
Illustration: Everybody thinks of changing Humanity and Nobody thinks of changing Himself.
5. The Holy Spirit helps you network with people who are specialists in certain areas where changes are needed. The Spirit is able to connect you with a wide variety of people, organizations and resources that will enable you to effect the greatest changes for Christ and His kingdom. Paul wrote,
"But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other." (I Cor. 12:24,25)