Summary: How The Holy Spirit Gives Spiritual Perceptiveness Enabling You to Understand That the Best Things in Life Are Free ( I Cor. 2:9-16)
How The Holy Spirit Gives Spiritual Perceptiveness Enabling You to Understand That the Best Things in Life Are Free I Cor. 2:8-16
Illustration;Get the right perspective. When Goliath came against the Israelites, the soldiers all thought, "He’s so big we can never kill him." David looked at the same giant and though, "He’s so big I can’t miss."
God Can Make It Happen (Victor).
1. The Holy Spirit gives believers in Christ supernatural ability to understand what God has freely given to us. Paul wrote, "We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." Thank the Lord for all of the free gifts you have received from God through the enabling of the Holy Spirit’s perceptiveness - you will be amazed!
Illustration:The Light That Brings Discomfort
In 1992 a lighthouse was built in Santo Domingo, capital of the Dominican Republic. This is one of the poorest areas in the world. The lighthouse was
constructed to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the arrival of Christopher Columbus. 150,000 people were evicted from their homes in a shantytown to make room for it. The intensity of its light means that electricity is rationed throughout much of the city. The light that brings security for some brings discomfort for others.
Jesus is the light that brings revelation and security but also discomfort and suffering for himself and for others. This is the second point that Simeon makes about this Messiah that is different to the expectations of his day.
2. The Holy Spirit enlightens the eyes of the obedient to help them perceive what God has planned to accomplish through growing Christians. Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father and I too will love him and show myself to him." (John 14:21 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to give you a clearer vision of what He is can do through your ministries.
3. The Holy Spirit clarifies confusing situations for those who are trusting God for clarification. Paul wrote, "God has revealed His wisdom to us by His Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God." (I Cor. 2:10) Ask the Lord to give you a greater understanding of issues, people and problems that seem confusing.
4. The Holy Spirit guides trusting Christians to concentrate on God’s priority ministries. Paul wrote, "We speak of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, or if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory." (I Cor. 2:7,8) Ask the Lord to help you be guided to invest your best resources, energies and abilities in the ministries that are reflective of God’s highest priorities.
5. The Holy Spirit helps Spirit filled believers clearly articulate wisdom to others. Paul wrote, "This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words." (I Cor. 2:13) Ask the Lord to help you express wisdom in clear, fluent and contextually relevant language for your audiences.