1. The Holy Spirit guides a leader in setting goals that reflect God's priorities. Jesus said, "All authority is given to me in heaven and earth. Go and make disciples of all nations... teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you." (Matt. 28:18-20) Godly leaders set their goals based on Biblical priorities of greater worship of the Lord; greater qualitative and quantitative growth of the church and greater completion of. His great commission. Ask the Lord to help you set your goals based on the Bible's priorities rather than your own maintenance and survival concerns. (Matt. 6:33)
2. The Holy Spirit helps leaders understand the complexities of their organization and where their services can make the greatest contribution for eternity. The Spirit gives leaders conceptual skills to act according to the essential goals of the organization and the scriptures. Jesus resisted anyones' attempts to structure His goals around the needs and interests of any one person or group. The Lord Jesus said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." (Mark 8:33) Ask the Lord to help you focus your attention on the greatest good for the organization rather than on the concerns of several favored individuals.
3. The Holy Spirit gives leaders great ability, judgment and wisdom in understanding the kinds of goals that will motivate them to do their best. Jesus said to the disciples, "Follow Me and I will make you fishers of men." (Matt. 4:19) Ask the Lord to help you involve people in goal setting that will help motivate them to achieve the very best of God's will.
4. The Holy Spirit provides leaders with the skills to use their knowledge, methods and materials to set goals that will facilitate their organization's greatest accomplishments. Paul wrote to Timothy, "You know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings." (2 Tim. 3:10) Ask the Lord to help you gain skills that will allow you to use all of your knowledge, methods and materials to facilitate your organization's greatest productivity for eternity.
5. The Holy Spirit gives wisdom in designing goals that are specific, measurable and attainable. Paul wrote, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." (2 Tim. 2:15) Ask the Lord to give you greater wisdom in the way you craft your goals so that you can evaluate your progress and make improvements
6. The Holy Spirit reinforces, refines and rewards leaders and their followers whose goals are achieved for God's glory. Paul wrote, "And so you became a model to all believers in Macedonia and Achaia. The Lord's message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia - your faith in God has become known everywhere." (I Thes. 1:7,8) Ask the Lord to help you refine, reinforce and reward those who have made progress with the goals of your organization.
7. The Holy Spirit helps supply us with everything that we need to set and achieve our goals. Paul wrote, "My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19) Ask the Lord for greater faith to realize that the Spirit will provide you with whatever is necessary to accomplish God's will according to His plans.
8. The Holy Spirit helps leaders analyze their situation, their people and their problems in setting the best goals. Paul wrote, "We proclaim him admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy." (Col. 1:28,29) Ask the Lord to supply you with analytical abilities to assess all of the factors before setting down the most contextual and appropriate goals for your organization.
9. The Holy Spirit gives your group the organizational abilities to carry out the goals that are essential for completing God's will. Paul wrote, "We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If it is leadership, let him govern diligently." (Rom. 12:6-8) Ask the Lord to help you find people with the necessary gifts to accomplish the most important goals of your organization.
10. The Holy Spirit teaches you how to delegate tasks to see that goals are properly carried out. Paul wrote, "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment. Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function." (Rom. 12:3-5) Ask the Lord to give you the skills and insights to successfully delegate authority and responsibility in your goal setting.