1. The Holy Spirit convicts us of our sins by pointing out areas in our life where we are not living up to Christ’s standards of commitment. Jesus said, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, but do not do the things that I say?" (Luke 6:46 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to help you to be more responsive to the ways that the Spirit convicts you of the inconsistencies between the ideals that you profess and the reality of your lifestyle, relationships and attitudes.
2. The Holy Spirit teaches us by enlightening the mind of the simple, ignorant and naive who are not fully aware of the gaps that exist between their professing ideals and their living realities. Paul wrote, "I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he called you." (Eph. 1:17,18) Ask the Lord to let you become more teachable so that you will not error on the side of being too simple, ignorant or naive or your responsibilities to grow up into all ASPECTS in Christ.
3. The Holy Spirit reveals hidden things as He did to Simeon that others may not understand at their level of spiritual maturity. Dr. Luke wrote, "Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout... It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God saying, ‘Sovereign Lord, as you have promised, you now dismiss your servant in peace. For my eyes have seen your salvation, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel." (Luke 2:25-28 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to reveal hidden things that will allow you to broaden, lengthen and deepen the quality and quantity of your ministries.
4. The Holy Spirit is the only one who is capable of giving people complete, broad and deep understanding of truth without any equivocation. Paul wrote, "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him - but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit." (I Cor. 2:9,10) Ask the Lord to show you what is necessary for you to fully obey and conform to the image of Christ emotionally, socially, mentally, interpersonally, spiritually and in your ministries.
5. The Holy Spirit gives His anointing as a direct result of our surrender to the Lord’s controls. Paul wrote, "So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature...Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." (Gal. 5:16,24) Ask the Lord to help you completely surrender your whole heart, soul, mind and strength to the love of Christ.
6. The Holy Spirit purifies away the worthless aspects of our lives that cannot stand up to test of the fires of God’s purifying methods. Malachi wrote, "For the Lord will be like a refiner’s fire. He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." (Malachi 3:2 (quickview) ,3) Ask the Lord to purify your conscience enabling you to serve him with pure motives of love from a pure heart.