1. The Holy Spirit gives us discernment between essential and non-essential actions through His still small voice of calm. David wrote, “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.” (Psalm 143:10 (quickview) ) Listen to the Spirit’s voice in helping you determine what battles are essential and which ones are just not worth fighting. Ask the Lord to help you become more discerning about what is essential versus what is non-essential for you to accomplish God’s priorities.
2. The Holy Spirit moves people to action when it is essential to act on truth. Samuel wrote, “When Saul heard their words, the Spirit of God came upon him in power, and he burned with anger...He proclaimed, ‘This is what will be done to the oxen of anyone who does not follow Saul and Samuel.’ Then the terror of the Lord fell on the people, and they turned out as one man.” (I Samuel 11:6 (quickview) ,7) Ask the Lord to make it extremely clear to you when He wants you to speak and act in His will.
3. The Holy Spirit counsels us about decisions that are often complicated. Samuel wrote, “He gave him the plans of all that the Spirit had put in his mind for the courts of the temple of the Lord and all the surrounding rooms, for the treasuries of the temple of God and for the treasuries for the dedicated things.” (I Chronicles 28:12 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to give you the knowledge that is necessary to make important decisions based on all kinds of sound information, advise and research.
4. The Holy Spirit imparts wisdom and skill just when we need it most. Moses wrote, “So Pharaoh asked them, ‘Can we find anyone like this man, one in whom is the spirit of God? Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, ‘Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you.’” Genesis 41:38 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to give you all the necessary wisdom and skill to accomplish everything He has called you to do.
5. The Holy Spirit illumines us with His abiding presence, power and perspectives just when we need them. Of Samuel it was written, “The Spirit of the Lord will come upon you in power, and you will prophesy with them; and you will be changed into a different person. Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do, for God is with you.” (I Samuel 10:6 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to let the Spirit of God transform your perspective helping you to carry out His essential ministries of love, faith and hope.
6. The Holy Spirit brings a special measure of conviction when we are to press ahead with God’s essential ministries. The Lord said to Zechariah, “This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: ‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit’ says the Lord Almighty.’” (Zechariah 4:6 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord for greater sensitivity to the urging of the Spirit to act at the right times, in the right ways and with best people.
7. The Holy Spirit works through us to accomplish the essential aspects of God’s will. Isaiah wrote, “Till the Spirit is poured upon us from on high, and the desert becomes a fertile field, and the fertile field seems like a forest.” (Isaiah 32:15 (quickview) ) Ask the Lord to help you accomplish the most fruitful, most effective and most significant ministries for Christ’s kingdom and righteousness. Thank Him for the privilege of making an eternal contribution that will benefit people for all of eternity.