Summary: Ask the Lord to remind you to plug into His infinite power, perspectives and resources whenever you are feeling any discouragement in your personal life, relationships or ministries.
1. The Holy Spirit helps bring God’s purposes to completion in us and our ministries when we feel like giving up hope. Paul wrote,
"Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it onto completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Phil. 1:6)
Application: Trust the Lord to complete His purposes in your personal life, your relationships and in all of your ministries - regardless of how bad things get.
2. The Holy Spirit infuses us with a supernatural sense of His love so that we can believe the best in every person when we feel like giving up on some people. Paul wrote,
"Love believes the best in every person." (I Cor. 13:7 - Philips Version)
Application: Ask the Lord to help you to keep on loving people by believing that God can work His best will in them regardless of their hardness of heart.
3. The Holy Spirit helps us to avoid exaggerating the negatives when we are faced with discouraging circumstances. John wrote,
Application: Ask the Lord to help you to avoid exaggerating the negatives when you are facing discouraging situations.
4. The Holy Spirit buoys us up with God’s affirmation, acceptance and declaration of His blessings when we are criticized by powerful people. Zephaniah wrote,
"The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zeph. 3:17)
Application: Ask the Lord to remind you of the fact that He is with you and for you!
5. The Holy Spirit comforts us when we are suffering from various afflictions. Paul wrote,
"He comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2 Cor. 1:3,4)
Application: Ask the Lord to give you a special measure of His comfort, grace and encouragement when you are undergoing suffering.
6. The Holy Spirit stimulates our mind, will and emotions when we are feeling that our life has no real significance. Paul wrote,
"Be steadfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing your labor is not in vain in the Lord." (I Cor. 15:58)
Application: Ask the Lord to stimulate your mind, will and emotions when you are feeling that life has no special meaning.
7. The Holy Spirit reminds us of the bountiful harvest we will reap whenever we think there is no fruit from our ministries. Paul wrote,
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." (Gal. 6:9)
Application: Ask the Lord to fill you with the assurance that He will help us reap a great harvest as we trust and obey.
8. The Holy Spirit reminds us of the fact that all of God’s promises are ours to claim in Christ when we are feeling bereft of what seems needful. Paul wrote,
"For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes" in Christ." (2 Cor. 1:20)
Application: Trust the Lord to help you fulfill the conditions of God’s promises so that you will not lack any good thing.