Summary: We all know how to act at the dinner table what about the Lord’s table
How to Act at the Table
A. Just for a little D.Y.K. (Did you Know)
B. Did you know that when Ice cream was invented the Quakers thought that it was sinful
C. According to them it had to be sinful. Nothing could taste that good a not be sinful!
D. That kind of sums up the perspective of a lot of Christians
E. If anything is fun it must be sinful
F. I think Peter was in that kind of rut.
G. God was trying to teach him a very important spiritual lesson through the dream we just heard about
H. But Peter was so set in his ways he didn’t want to the Word of God to interfere with his opinion
I. Ever had that problem?
J. We all have
K. Like Peter, I can be stubborn obstinate, and slow to listen
L. So here some handy help form the Bible for our problem
M. The problem of being exclusive with the Gospel instead of Inclusive
N. Today we are going to learn how to act at the Table
O. We are then going to take these tables manner and erase the excuses for being exclusive
P. The first manner we are going to look at is:
I. Eat What’s On Your Plate
1. Peter was up on the roof praying around noon
a) A good thing to do
2. While he was praying, he became hungry – That happens to me a lot
3. Peter then as the Bible says fell into a trance
4. And there was this huge sheet being let down from Heaven to Earth by the four corners
5. Boy this sheet must have looked Good
6. It could feed Peter for a long time
7. But as it got closer, Peter notice something – It was not Kosher
8. It had animals on it that were forbidden in Jewish culture
9. A voice told him to “Kill and eat”
10. You crazy? I have never even tasted anything unclean, yet alone kill and eat
11. Then the voice told him “do not call anything impure that God has made clean”
12. This happened three times
13. Peter was sitting there scratching his head trying to figure out the meaning of all of this
14. Then a couple of people came to the door, after being prompted by the Holy Spirit, Peter told them that he is the one they are looking for
15. What do we learn about how we should act at the table fro this portion of our passage?
16. If God puts it on our plate, eat it!
17. I mean, if God puts someone in your life
18. Like He was putting Cornelius in Peters life, then share the good news with them
19. How ironic it is, Peter thought He was being righteous when he said “No” to God?
20. We know that the Jews and the Gentiles did not get a long
21. But that down not mean they do not need to hear the Good news
22. You might be called to reach someone that is nothing like you, so?
23. Does that give you and excuse not to do it
24. Jew did not like the Gentiles, because they did not adhere to “their laws”,
25. Guess what, some of the people “On your plate” may not act like you may not think like you, may not look like you, and may not even vote like you
26. Does not matter
27. Those people in your life, need to hear the good news
28. Not that does and don’t of United State Church Going Standards
29. They need to hear there is one God