Summary: What does it take to be a Christian mother in the world we live today? The Bible gives us four points on how we can do just that.
How to be a Christian Mother Today
2 Tim. 1:1-12
Sociologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, law enforcement officers, educators, and social workers are reminding us repeatedly of the importance of the home. The influence of the home for good or bad had been the subject of many books, countless articles, and innumerable speeches.
While the family unit is made up of a man, a woman, and children, the woman is at the center, and the lives of others are good to the degree to which the woman takes her calling seriously, making their welfare her major concern. In the 21st century, mothers face vast complex problems and challenges. Although the mothers of yesterday faced some problems that are practically nonexistent today, the modern mother faces problems undreamed of a short time ago.
So this morning, I want to take some time for us to focus in on our ladies and give you three points on how to be a Christian Mother, especially in today’s society. Now men don’t fall asleep, just because I am focusing in on the ladies. It is your job as the men and husbands to keep your mothers and wives encouraged in the Lord. Amen.
I. Consider Motherhood as a Christian Calling
A. There is a call to the ministry of preaching
1. There is a call to the ministry of religious education.
2. There is a call to the ministry of worship minister.
3. And there is a call to the ministry of missions at home and abroad.
B. Let us recognize the high calling to Christian motherhood
1. It is basically the fulfilling of God’s plan and purpose for you ladies.
2. God designed women to be the help mate of her husband and to be the mother to her children; raising in the ways of the Lord right along side her husband.
3. Paul tells us in that whatever ministry we are called into, that we are to press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
C. Eunice and Lois are still recognized today because they did an outstanding job in training a son and a grandson.
1. The Christian mother should be a leader in worship
2. The Christian mother can be a professor of biblical knowledge
i. “And that from a child thou has known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus” (2 Tim. 3:15)
3. The Christian mother should be a teacher of Christian ideals.
4. The Christian mother should be an example of Christian graces.
i. “But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them.” (2 Tim. 3:14)
II. Recognize Your Need for Help
A. You need the help of God.
i. Make much of the Bible in your personal life
ii. Be familiar with the closet prayer, “But thou, when thou prayest, enter into they closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly” (Matt. 6:6)
iii. Walk by faith, claiming the promises of God
iv. Follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit.
B. You need the help of your husband
i. He should be a Christian leader in the home