Summary: Some things church members should be and do
1 THES. 1:5-8 "HOW TO BE A GOOD CHURCH MEMBER"
* The title Christian appears only 3 times in the Scriptures & implies a number of things!
A) First, it implies that a person who is a Christian is one who is a follower of Jesus Christ!
* Acts 11:26 "And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."
B) Second, it implies that those who are Christians will be witnesses to the world!
* Acts 26:28 "Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."
C) Third, it implies that those who are truly Christians will likely suffer persecution!
* 1Pet.4:16 "Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify ..."
* In Acts 2:41-47 & 4:32-34 we see a beautiful picture of Christianity in action!
D) Churches are made up of people! * By definition a church is:
* A visible assembly of called out believers who have been baptized and who have covenanted
together to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ!
E) Every true Christian ought to be a member of a local church!
* There has been much damage done to the name of Jesus Christ because of unfaithfulness
and ignorance on the part of many Christians,
* Especially concerning the expectations of the Lord & their responsibilities to fellow Christians!
F) No church member is perfect & is not likely to behave totally victorious all the time!
* Yet, there’s much in the Bible that we should consider that’ll help us to live more pleasing to God!
* It’s my responsibility to stir you up in living a life that is pleasing to God!
* 1Tim.4:6 "If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good ......."
* I would like to share with you some goals & characteristics of an ideal church member!
(1) CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE SAVED AND SURE OF IT!
* The biggest problem with Christianity today is the fact that churches all over America are filled
with unregenerate church members! * They have never, ever been born again!
A) A lot of people don’t even know what it means to be born again!
* They are like Nicodemus in John 3, "How can a man be born when he is old?"
* They think just joining a church makes them right with God, but not so!
* When Jesus said, "Ye must be born again," he left no one out, there are no exemptions!
B) Listen at what the Bible says in 2Cor. 13:5!
* "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your
own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?"
C) Not only should church members be saved, but they should be sure of it!
* 1 John 5:13 "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the ......."
* If you’re gonna be a good church member, then be saved and sure of it!
(2) CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD BE BAPTIZED BIBLICALLY!
* Here’s what Jesus said about it - Matt.28:19 "Go ye therefore, and teach ... baptizing them ..."
A) Baptism is a picture of Christ’s death, burial and resurrection!
* It identifies you who you are and who you are with! * Rom.6:3-4 Turn to
B) Baptism is a picture of the new birth! * A new creation - 2Cor. 5:17 "Therefore if ......."