Summary: Many intelligent farmers have reaped the benefits of studying the science of wise seed sowing. Farming is a like investing, you actually reap in quantity and in quality that which you sow. While some farmers continue to get small yields, others bring in h
Many intelligent farmers have reaped the benefits of studying the science of wise seed sowing. Farming is a like investing, you actually reap in quantity and in quality that which you sow. While some farmers continue to get small yields, others bring in huge harvests and prosper.
Jesus likened seed sowing to spreading the truth of the scriptures. The Lord told the disciples about four kinds of seed sowing to varying degrees of effectiveness in Mark chapter four. Let us uncover some of the insights about wise seed sowing.
1. Jesus encouraged the disciples to sow seeds in fields that are ripe for the harvest. The Lord knew that the disciples would have to use some trial and error field testing before discovering which people were receptive to the truth. Do not hesitate to do some research before doing your ministry. The Lord wants us to get the greatest return on every one of our investments.
2. Jesus calls certain people to particular fields because of their familiarity with the environment. Learn to work through indigenous seed families that provide a fertile field for lasting ministries.
3. Jesus recognized that seed sowing is best done by skilled people. The Lord is able to use specialists in sowing seeds because they have devoted their life to learning about all the intricacies and the errors to avoid in this important work. Work through specialists.
4. Jesus taught people to sow the seed of the word of God. It is easy to try to sow seeds of philosophy, strategies and complicated plans, but keep serving up the scriptures.
5. Jesus encouraged the skillful application of the science of spiritual agronomy. Learn all you can about the art and science of communications. Figure out how the perspectives of the people you are working with affect their thinking and actions.
6. The Lord knew that knowing where and when to plant the seed was vital. Our God is a harvesting heavenly Father. He delights to see people come into His kingdom and is looking for people who can take the seed of the gospel to the hearts of spiritually hungry men and women and children.
7. Jesus knew people needed a knowledge of the art and science of seed sowing. It is just as important to know how to deliver the truth in a contextual way as giving solid facts.
Application: Many people do not reject the truth, but the messenger or their methods.
8. Jesus knew that an element of wise timing must be employed in seed sowing. Be sensitive to the times in people’s lives when they are most open to the scripture like Christmas, Easter or weddings, funeral, or new births in a family.
9. Jesus knew that diligent seed sowers would eventually succeed. The Lord knew that people who faithfully sow the word of God through their teaching, preaching and Godly lifestyles will accomplish the will of God.
10. Jesus encouraged the disciples to pray for the Lord’s wisdom, blessing and enabling in seed sowing. Without the Lord’s help our seed sowing will be in vain and lack spiritual power.
11. Jesus taught the disciples to be life long learners of seed sowing. Study case studies of how God has used successful seed sowers through a wide variety of ministries. Imitate those who God has multiplied in quantity and quality.