Summary: It’s impossible to live a lifestyle of unselfishness on your own. • Because its in our nature to be selfish – to look out for number one.
How To Find Joy In Your Relationships Philippians 2:1-2:8
Here is a fact: God has made us to have relationships.
• And those relationships come in two forms
• First we can have a relationship with Him
• And second we can have a relationship with other people.
• Ever Since the fall of Adam and Eve trying to maintaining relationships has been a full time job between man and man - and man and God.
One of the biggest causes of unhappiness in our world today is strained relationships.
• And the reason for that is that Conflict kills happiness.
• It’s hard enough trying to live in this world when everything is going right
• Much less if we are trying to deal with somekind of conflict
• It doesn’t matter if its nation against nation or family member against another family member
• To try and live without any conflict is just about impossible.
So How do you deal with conflict? ----How do you strive for unity?
1. Unity is major factor for success and fulfillment in life.
2. To have a successful business the employees must get along and work together.
3. To have a successful football team the players must work together.
4. To have a successful government the congress and the president must cooperate.
5. To have a successful family the members must work together.
6. And To have a successful church EVERYONE involved has to work together.
The truth of the matter is that Very little if anything in life is accomplish on our own.
• However When there is unity there is tremendous power and potential.
• The problem is people don’t always get along – they don’t always co-operate.
• So once again How do we strive for unity?
• How do we reduce conflict and increase cooperation?
In Philippians chapter 2 Paul talks about how to we can have unity
• And how we can co-operation with others.
Phil 2:1 Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and sympathetic?
Phil 2:2 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose.
As Christians - we are supposed to have unity in Christ.
• We are supposed to get along with one another.
• There ought to be able to fellowship together
Paul says we are to be like minded.
• This means that we are to show the love to one another – because Christ has loved us.
• We are to display mercy and grace – because that is what God has shown us.
• We are to put on the mind of Christ and if we did that we will be like-minded – in unity and harmony.
But the problem is that unity and harmony does not happen very often.
• But here Paul gives five practical steps so that we can find joy and at the same time reduce conflict.
• And we find the first step in vs 3
Phil 2:3 Don’t be selfish; don’t live to make a good impression on others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself.