Summary: We all tend to be restricted by our memories. Paul, the apostle wrote, "Be transformed (actually metamorphized) - changed from within, by the renewing of your mind- attitude and perceptions."
We all tend to be restricted by our memories. Paul, the apostle wrote, "Be transformed (actually metamorphized) - changed from within, by the renewing of your mind- attitude and perceptions."
Illustration: Behind the scenes of an Arizona circus, Bobb Biehl started chatting with a man who trains animals for Hollywood movies: " ’How is it that you can stake down a ten-ton elephant with the same size stake that you use for this little fellow?’ I asked, pointing to a baby elephant who weighed three hundred pounds. "
’It’s easy . . . ’ the trainer said. ’When they are babies, we stake them down. They try to tug away from the stake maybe ten thousand times before they realize that they can’t possibly get away. At that point, their ’elephant memory’ takes over and they remember for the rest of their lives that they can’t get away from the stake.’
"Humans are sometimes like elephants. When we are teenagers, some unthinking, insensitive, unwise person says, ’He’s not very good at planning,’ or ’She’s not a leader,’ or ’Their team will never make it,’ and zap, we drive a mental stake into our minds. Often when we become mature adults, we are still held back by some inaccurate one-sentence ’stake’ put in our minds when we were young.
"Today you are an adult capable of much more than you realize. You are far more capable than you were even twelve months ago, and next year you will be able to do things you can’t imagine doing today." --Bobb Biehl in Masterplanning (Growth, Possibilities)
1. Learn to let the word of Christ dwell in you richly through singing songs of praise to our Lord that enrich your appreciation for all of His attributes. Col. 3:16 - Let the scriptures teach, admonish, comfort and persuade you to be all God wants you to be.
2. Allow the benefits of scriptural meditation to create in you a clean heart and renew a right spirit-attitude for every situation. Psa. 119: - By asking the Lord to renew your heart and cleanse your thoughts you will be free to see clearly without any distortions.
3. Ask the Lord for the help to learn how to carry on conversatioin that are pleasing to the Lord in all respects and reflect true spiritual wisdom. Col. 1:9 - Paul writes, "I pray that you may be filled with all knowledge and spiritual wisdom so that you might walk in a manner that is worthy of the Lord to please Him in ALL respects and bear fruit in every good work.
4. Be a good student of the word by utilizing all the tools that are available. Do not settle for just a surface knowledge of the treasures of God’s word as most do. Study to show yourself approved of God a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. (2 tim. 2:15)
5. Ask the Lord to let you be a multiplier of His truth, His righteousness and His life giving gospel. He will use you in ways that are far beyond your human imaginations.
6. Let the Lord deliver you from all your fears and inhibitions of speaking of Him to others. He gives strength and greater insight to those who are His representatives and ambassadors. David wrote, "He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.
7. Share the good things that the Lord is teaching you with your family members so that they can see the gradual changes the Lord is making in your personal holiness, lifestyle and responses.
Song; OH be thankful for the good things that you’ve got. The good things that you’ve got are for many just a dream. So be thankful for the good things that you’ve got.
The best way to erase a bad memory is to replace it with a positive one.