Summary: The sermon shares how to get to heaven?
“How to get to Heaven” John 3:1-17
Billy Graham Tells of a time early in his ministry when he arrived in a small town to preach at a meeting. He had arrived a little bit early to finish writing a letter for back home. As he finished the letter, he asked a young boy standing on the sidewalk of the location of the town post office. When the boy had given him the directions, Mr. Graham thanked him and said, “If you will come to the Baptist church this evening, you can hear me tell everyone how to get to heaven.” “I don't think I will be there.” The little boy replied, “You don't even know your way to the post office, let alone how to get to heaven.” One of the greatest tragedies in religion today is the fact that most church members to include a lot of religious leaders do not know how they can go to heaven when the Bible tells us how we can.
1. Jesus knows Nicodemus is searching for a way to get to Heaven.
3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.A"
• I think Jesus is saying here Nicodemus Status will not get you to Heaven
• Religion will not get one to Heaven, Staying away from strong drink will not get you to Heaven, Church attendance, will not get one to heaven, but being born again will get you there.
2. Jesus tells Nicodemus all are in need of being Born Again No one sees the kingdom unless they are Born Again. The Scriptures identifies our condition
• (Romans 3:23) "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
• Ecclesiastes 7:20) "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
• Isaiah 64:6) " ¶But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."
• Romans 3:10) "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"
3. Jesus explains to Nicodemus that being born again has effects
• . 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
• We cannot see the wind but we see the effects of wind blows stuff over wind can be mild, strong, powerful
• A Side Effects of being Born Again is Sudden Impulses to love your enemy
• Another side effect of being born again is you encounter Blurred Vision like Joshua and Caleb
• Other side effects include Unusual Movements David danced once the ark came from Obed-Edom
• Some experience Deliriousness as a result of being born again they think a beating is joyful 40His speech persuaded them. They called the apostles in and had them flogged. Then they ordered them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. 41The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name
4. Jesus explains being born again Resolves in One Man We are born again because one Man was Lifted Up 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.E
• We are born again because One man So Loved Nicodemus 16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,F that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
• We are Born again because One Man was Sent to save17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
5. In conclusion, How do we get to Heaven because of One Man?
• We Must Receive One Man for salvation
John 1: 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--
• We Must Believe in One Man Romans 10: 9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
• We Must open our hearts door for one man . Rev 3:20Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. 21To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. 22He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
• One man paid the payment over 2000 years ago on an old rugged Cross