Summary: HOW TO GET UP WHEN YOU'RE DOWN
Psalms 42 & 43 HOW TO GET UP WHEN YOU'RE DOWN
This Psalm was written by David in exile by Absalom's rebellion.
The heading of this Psalm is a “maschil,” - “a psalm of instruction,”
In Psalm 42 and 43 (which go together) the Psalmist was “in the pits.” He was Depressed, Disappointed, Discouraged, Down in the dumps.
we need to know how to get up when we are feeling down.
I. David's Desire 1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
(a) His Plight - David's driven out by Absalom felt isolated from God.
(b) His Pursuit - Look at David's thirsting for God:
Psalm 63:1 O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; 2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
84:2; My soul longeth, yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.
143:6 I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. Selah.7 Hear me speedily, O LORD: my spirit faileth: hide not thy face from me, lest I be like unto them that go down into the pit.
As the deer pants for the water, so my soul longs after Thee
You alone are my heart's desire, And I long to worship Thee.
(c) His Past - 4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
A. The Place - "God's House" I went with them to the house of God,
B. The Person - "God's Help" with the voice of joy and praise
C. The Power - "God's Holiness" with a multitude that kept holyday.
II. David's Despair
A. The Characteristics of Depression
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? “Why are you in despair?”
“Why are you disquieted within me?”“Why are you troubled within?”
Notice that David is preaching to himself; He is not talking to others
• Psalm 103:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. 2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
B. The Causes of Depression
1. Self – David uses, me, my, and I - 37 times in the Psalms 42 and 43.
2. Separation - 2 when shall I come and appear before God?
3. Slander - 3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
4. Strife - absence of Peace 5 and why art thou disquieted in me?
5. Stress - 7 all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
6. Silence - The seemingly failure of God to act quickly on His behalf
9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me?
why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
C. The Cure for Depression - 5 hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
III. David's Determination - 5 hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
The important thing about depression is NOT THAT you get out of it, but WHAT you get out of it. What you learn from it?
God's Word gives practical instructions - 5 hope thou in God
“hope” - to trust, to wait, and to put your expectations in Him.
“When you want God as much as you wanted air, you will find Him.”
1) Our Hope Is In God - 5 hope thou in God
2) Our Help Is In God - for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.