Summary: Paul’s prudence evidenced the Spirit’s leading not only in his content but also in his approach to people
How to Handle Complainers
Illustration:Don’t complain and talk about all your problems--80 percent of people don’t care; the other 20 percent will think you deserve them.
Illustration: A heavy wagon was being dragged along a country lane by a team of oxen. The axles groaned and creaked terribly, when the oxen turning around thus addressed the wheels, "Hey there, why do you make so much noise? We bear all the labor, and we -- not you -- ought to cry out!" Those complain first in our churches who have the least to do. The gift of grumbling is largely dispensed among those who have no other talents, or who keep what they have wrapped up in a napkin.
Charles Spurgeon in The Quotable Spurgeon.
1. Paul practiced wise diplomacy in the way he dealt with King Agrippa to enhance the effectiveness of his communications. By using such tact, adroitness and statesmanship, Paul was nearly about to convince the power King to become a Christian.
2. Paul’s prudence evidenced the Spirit’s leading not only in his content but also in his approach to people.
Dr. Robert Travis, co-director of Marital and Health Studies at the Univ. of Alabama, lists the most common complaints of husbands and wives. WIVES: He doesn’t listen to me, He takes me for granted, He’s not romantic, He doesn’t help much with the children. HUSBANDS: She doesn’t understand that I need time by myself; she nags about little things; she expects too much emotionally; she complains that I spend too much time at work.
Fathergram, March, 1985.
Illustration: Air travel has great advantages, but have you ever had to sit in a bus three hours while it circled around the depot?
3. Paul’s politically sensitive manner impressed the King and diffused a hostile opponent in Festus.
4. Paul’s ability to present his message with such wise negotiatons that it presented the gospel in a way that helped King Agrippa see the advantages of truth from his cultural, rational and political perspective.
Illustration: You will find that, as a rule, those who complain about the way the ball bounces are usually the ones who dropped it.
5. Paul used the power of prayer to give continual supernatural intercession to bear on the King and all who heard his message. Without a dependence on the Lord, Paul knew that his words would have little effect.
6. Paul used the power of his own transformation to allow the King to recognize that a relationship with Christ begins with God’s pro-active love. Salvation was presented in a way of simply receiving the free gift of God’s grace and forgiveness found in Christ Jesus the Lord.
7. Paul spoke with great compliments, respect and admiration for the position of the King and his people.
8. Paul addressed the King with all humility recognizing that it was a privilege to share of Christ’s love.
9. Paul spoke with a well researched knowledge of the King’s culture, world view and concerns.
10. Paul based his presentation on the hope given to him through Christ not on a successful response.
11. Paul used his past accomplishments as a bridge of credibility to his audience not for self-glory.
12. Paul used his Jewish heritage as significant reason for bringing corporate as well as personal redemption to all peoples for the peace of the everyone and every nation.
13. Paul confesses his past mistakes and sins publically to show how Christ rescued him from self-destruction.
14. Paul admits to be obsessed with persecuting Christians because of his own mis-perceptions of truth.
15. Paul cries out, "O King" to maintain the attention of Agrippa to minimize the tendency for his audience to let their minds wander on to other matters. He was a master of communication in every sense.
16. Paul used the art and science of dialogue in his presentation when he recalled, "Then I ask, Who are you Lord and what do you want me to do?" Crucial questions throughout his presentations are immacutately timed to give the greatest emphasis to the most important truths.
17. Paul pointed out that Jesus spoke to him about God’s will when He said, "I am sending you to the Gentiles to open their eyes and turn them from darkness tolight and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins." Paul’s approach was largely through example.
18. Paul used the powers of observation, interpretation and correlation to bring the truth of Christ’s healing touch to King Agrippa. Without Paul’s rational approach, the Greek King might not have been so moved.
19. Paul explained that his growth in Christ came as a result of obedience and not human wisdom or strength.
20. Paul allow the criticisms and accusations of Festus to roll off of him like water off of a duck’s back.