Summary: This is the 1st sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks" (study of 1 Corinthians). This sermon looks at some of the problems of the church at Corinth and how we must strive to avoid these problems.
Sunday Morning November 17, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “Church On The Rocks” [#1]
“HOW TO KILL YOUR CHURCH”
[PLAY “RELEVANCE OF THE CHURCH” VIDEO CLIP].
1. Aren’t you thankful for the church? As Paul was writing to this church in Corinth, he was saying that he was thankful that God had put them there. Everyone needs a church home. A place where they know they are loved. A place where they know people care about them.
2. Paul was also thanking God for Jesus. Without Jesus, there would be no church. Jesus is the founder of the Church and He must always be at the center if we want to succeed in doing what God has asked us to do.
3. Paul was thankful for God’s faithfulness. Although we continually mess up and do our own thing, God is still faithful to us.
4. As we begin our study in the book of 1 Corinthians, I want us to notice that Paul had some concerns for this church. This church was a “Church On The Rocks”. This church was not doing all that they were supposed to be doing. There were some in the church that were really hurting it. In fact they were allowing the devil to use them to destroy the church.
5. If you want to kill your church, let me show you how.
The first way to kill your church is by killing the unity within the church. There is 3 ways to kill the unity within the Church listed in our text.
1. Forget Who’s You Are: Once you surrender your life to Jesus Christ, you are no longer yours but God’s. When you forget Whom you belong to, you stop acting like a child of God’s and start acting like a child of the devils.
2. Forget Who You Are: As a Christian, you are a representative of God here on this earth. When you forget that, you are prone to live opposite of what God wants you to.
3. Forget Your Mission: Why does God leave us here on this earth after we are saved? Is it to critique the pastor, the sermon, the church, the music, etc? No, it is to lead the lost to Jesus Christ.
In order for the Church to be able to reach out to the lost, we must have unity within our congregation. The devil is going to try to cause you to forget Who’s you are, who you are, and what your mission is so that he can destroy the ministry of this church.
The first way to kill the Church is by killing the unity within the Church. The second way to kill the Church is by killing the harmony within the Church. There is 2 ways to kill the harmony within the church.
1. Fight About Everything: Do you realize that Churches have been destroyed over the color of carpet or who is going to say the prayer during the service? The devil will use anything for us to fight about. Think about this. For those of you who are married, what do you fight about most often? Is it the things in life that are really important, or is it silly little things that don’t matter; like leaving the toilet seat up? We are the same way in Church. We will fight over anything, whether it matters or not and this will destroy the harmony within the church.