Summary: Exhortation about Anger,what it is,types and how it can be controlled
Anger or wrath is an intense emotional response rooted in annoyance, displeasure, or hostility which is usually irrationaly. There are Over 500 references in the Bible; over 40 people or groups reported as angry
Types Of Anger
1.Righteous Anger: Righteous anger is typically a reactive emotion of anger over sin,mistreatment, insult, or injustice.It is refered to as righteous indignation.. Righteous anger arises from an accurate perception of true evil, from sin as defined biblically, i.e., as a violation of God’s Word (Rom 3:23; 1 Jn 3:4). Righteous anger remains self-controlled. It keeps its head without cursing, screaming, raging, or flying off the handle. . It does not ignore people, snub people, or withdraw from people.There are three occasions when Jesus was angry (Mk 3:1-6; 10:13-16; Jn 2:13-17) and it was righteous indignation. We also have cases of righteous anger in Saul and Jonathan (1 Sam 11:1-6; 20:24-35).
2.Sinful Anger: Sinful Anger is ‘a disorderly outburst of emotion connected with the inordinate desire for revenge.
This is what is called ANGER.
Examples Of Sinful Anger In the Bible And Causes
1. Cain angry with Abel (Gen. 4:5,6). ..Jealousy
2. Esau with Jacob (Gen. 27:34,45)....Cheating
3. Jacob with Rachel (Gen. 30:2).
4. Simeon and Levi with Shechem (Gen. 34:7)...Abuse
5. Moses with the Israelites (Num. 20:10,11)....Irritation
6. Balaam with his donkey (Num. 22:27)....Disappointment
7. Balak with Balaam (Num. 24:10).)....Disappointment
8. Eliab with David (1 Sam. 17:28)...Perceived Irresponsibility
9. Saul with Jonathan (1 Sam. 20:32).
10. Naaman with Elisha (2 Ki. 5:11)...
11. The soldiers of Ephraim with King Amaziah (2 Chron. 25:10).
12. Ahasuerus with Vashti (Esth. 1:12).
13. Haman with Mordecai (Esth. 3:5).....Disrespect
14. Sanballat, Tobiah, and others with the Israelites (Neh. 4:1,7)...Envy
15. Job with the three comforters and with God (Job 7:11; 10:1; 13:26; 21:25; 23:2; etc.)
16. Asa with Hanani (2 Chron. 16:10).
17. Herod with the wise men (Matt. 2:16)...Disappointed Expectation
18. The older brother with his father (Luke 15:28).Perceived Cheating
19. Peter with the people who identified him as Jesus’ disciple (Matt. 26:74)...Leakage of Secret
Harmful Consequences Of Anger:
Anger triggers the body’s ‘fight or flight’ response. Other emotions that trigger this response include fear, excitement and anxiety. The adrenal glands flood the body with stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol.
The brain shunts blood away from the gut and towards the muscles, in preparation for physical exertion. Heart rate, blood pressure and respiration increase, the body temperature rises and the skin perspires
Health Problems Linked With Anger
The constant flood of stress chemicals and associated metabolic changes that go with recurrent unmanaged anger can eventually cause harm to many different systems of the body.
Some of the short and long-term health problems that have been linked to unmanaged anger include: