Summary: We can have victory over the devil because Jesus has already whooped him on his own territory!
EPH.6:10-18 “HOW TO WHOOP THE DEVIL!”
A) There can be no permanent victory in the lives of God’s children until they see the fact
that Satan was defeated at Calvary! * He’s already been whooped!
* John 12:31-32 “Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast
out. And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”
* Believers will not be able to face the satanic floodtide by which they are confronted unless we
learn to use the power and victory that Calvary gives us to defeat Satan!
* Isa.59:19b “When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift .......”
B) What is that standard? * CALVARY! * We must proclaim this boldly!
* Look at Heb.2:14-15 “... destroy him ...” * Can you have anything stronger than that?
* The Greek word means: “rendered powerless, put out of action.” * The cross does that!
* The Bible says that “we are buried with Him,” and the devil can’t follow you there!
* Paul tells us how we can defeat the devil in our own lives, and here it is!
(1) PUT ON THE WHOLE ARMOUR OF GOD! * This is a warrior’s armour!
* We need to realize that we are Christian Soldiers ... We are on a battlefield, not a playground!
* Remember ... Paul was in prison and under constant guard when writing to the Ephesian church!
* He was forced to stare at the soldier’s armour day in and day out! * He had an ideal picture of
the armour needed by the Christian soldier to combat the forces of evil.
A) v.14 “Having you loins girt about with truth.” * The belt of truth!
* The belt was used to hold the soldier’s clothing next to his body!
* This would keep his clothing from flapping about and allowed him freedom of movement!
* The belt was also used to strengthen and support the body!
* What specifically is the belt of truth? * What is God’s truth that the believer is to put on?
B) First: Christ is truth - John 14:6! * The believer is to put on Christ! * Look at Eph.4:24
* What that means is, “The new man is Christ formed in the believer!”
* Gal.3:27 “For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.”
* Rom.13:14 “But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the .......”
* Second: The Word of God is truth - John 17:17 “Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word ...”
* The Psalmist said in Psa.119:11 “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin .......”
* Third: Speaking and living a life of truthfulness is the truth! * Eph.4:25 .......
* Truth does several things for the Christian soldier!
* It keeps him from flapping about from one thing to another ... From being tossed to and fro by
every attack of the enemy – Eph.4:14 “That we henceforth be no more .......”
* It keeps him from becoming entangled with the affairs of this life – 2Tim.2:3-4 “Thou therefore
endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth .......”
* It supports him in the battles and trials of life - Heb.2:17-18 “Wherefore in all things it behoved
him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in
things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that he himself
hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.”
* Succour – To aid or relieve or to help a person in time of need, distress, or danger!
C) v.14 “And having on the breastplate of righteousness!”
* The breastplate covered the body of the soldier from the neck to the thighs!
* It was used to protect the most vital organ ... The heart!
D) The believer’s heart is focused upon the Lord Jesus Christ and His righteousness, and that
focus must be protected! * The sign of the Christian soldier is righteousness!
* When a man is saved, God imputes the righteousness of Jesus Christ to him!
* Or to say it another way, God counts him righteous!
* However, it is not enough to stand in the righteousness of Christ!
* The Christian soldier must protect his heart! * This he does by living righteously!
* Titus 2:11-12 “For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath ... Teaching us .......”
* Righteousness keeps the heart from ever being wounded and losing its focus!
E) v.15 “And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;”