Summary: Husbands have to honor their wives if they want their prayers to be answered or their offerings to be acceptable unto the Lord
I found a scripture that could be of help to every husband and I thought I should share it with you.
“Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.” (1 Peter 3:7 NKJV)
“You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way, as with someone weaker, since she is a woman; and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life, so that your prayers will not be hindered.” (1 Peter 3:7 NASB)
“Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.” (1 Peter 3:7 NIV)
From the text above, husbands are to do 2 things (understand and honor their wives), realizing that both wife and husband are washed with the same blood of Jesus Christ.
1. Understand / Be considerate as you live with your wives: Here means ‘to know’, to master the fact that’, to comprehend, assimilate, grasp’; / ‘to be thoughtful, mindful, have careful thought.’
a. Understand that there are times when she may just not be feeling good
b. Understand that she is an emotional person
2. Treat them with respect: Here the word of God admonishes that husbands should treat their wives with honor. To honor is to treat with high respect, recognize, admire, be proud of, esteem, obey … The lifestyle of honoring actually begins at early age when children are taught to honor their parents as the bible admonishes. Then the young man already knows how to honor a lady (now his wife).
i. As the weaker partner. This is another area where the natural mind would suggest that it does not make sense for one to respect or honor weaker vessels, but in God’s mind what makes sense is for man to respect and honor the weaker vessel. Some may interpret this verse to mean that a woman is a weaker vessel, NO. She is to be treated ‘as if’ she is a weaker / delicate vessel: She is an expensive jewel in your hands. You do not want her to break or be hurt in anyway. Read this verse very well. In fact, she is so strong that she is the crown on your head (Prov. 12:4) – the beauty of your life. See what she does as a wife, mother, student, worker, etc. and read Proverbs 31, then you’ll be convinced that she is not weak.
ii. As heirs with you of the gracious gift of life. This calls us to have the understanding that it the same blood, shed at Calvary, that saved both of you. Therefore, she is not inferior to you in any way.
One very big reason why these steps have to be taken is so that your prayers will not be hindered. This is not a small matter, I think. This is to say that, any man who honors his wife and lives with her with understanding cannot experience hinderances to his prayers; this is an eye-opener. Begin to practice it and you’ll notice the difference. You know, when we are angry with someone, we always remember it, particularly at times of prayers. That is why God’s word teaches us to forgive others so that our own sins would be forgiven (Mat. 6:15), knowing that if we harbor iniquity in our hearts, God will not hear us (Psalm 66:18).
In addition to removing any possible hinderance to your prayers, you as a husband should know that they you are honoring your wife and treating her right because you are being obedient to the word of God and you are doing everything as unto the Lord.
Oh, by the way, please also read Malachi 2:10-17, you will find out that the only way your offerings and charity giving could be acceptable to God is if you treat your wife with respect and honor. Oh woah!
Please Pray that God will:
• Assist you to understand your wife.
• Assist me to honor your wife.
• Make you a good husband whose prayers and offering are acceptable to the Lord.
• Enable me to live a life that will bring favor and kindness upon my generations to come.