Summary: The sermon shares how messed up Paul is and if Paul is a mess then we are as well. Since we are a mess there is also a rescue Jesus Christ.
I am a Mess Romans 7:15-25a
1. First of all Paul says he is a mess. I am a Mess
He writes, "For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing" (v. 19).
• Paul reveals a man who feels tossed back and forth between what he sees as two forces at work within his heart and mind.
• Despite being tossed I am saved by a love that is stable. Jeremiah claims God Love is everlasting, The Chronicler says, "Give thanks to the LORD, for his love endures forever." and the psalmist says, 3Because your love is better than life,
• Despite being tossed From one sin to another there is a cure forgiveness, David said, 5Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"-- and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
• Despite being tossed back and forth there is the Constance of my God. I am the same today, yesterday and forever and behold I never change. God is constant and true, faithful in keeping his promises, and unchangeable in his ethical nature.
Paul knows that he is "in Christ," and as such, a new creation, no longer defined by that which is corrupt in him. But, as seen by God, he is dressed up in the goodness and rightness of Jesus Christ.
2. I am mess because there is something deeply rooted within .vs 17 sin is incurable that is why we have forgiveness
A. It is the power of sin.
• It remains at residence in his flesh and bones, rearing its ugly head and drawing him from the new path on which God has placed him.
• Paul believes nothing good dwells inside or in his flesh Paul believes evil lies inside so be careful
• Paul believes what he wants he doesn't do but what I don't want to do that he does
• Paul believes he is wretched and he wonders who will rescue him?
B. There is a Native American tale, well-known and oft-told, that reminds us of this truth. A Cherokee grandfather once said to his grandson, "There is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego. The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth." The boy thought about it and asked, "Grandfather, which wolf wins?" The old man replied, "The one you feed."
Help us God to feed the wolf of love, joy, peace, humility, kindness, empathy, truth, and Hope.
Help us God to feed the wolf of encouragement
Help us God to feed the wolf of I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me.
3. If Paul is such a mess then more than likely we are to
• Paul also knows the good news is that God will rescue him from His Mess. 27King Darius said, He rescues and he saves; he performs signs and wonders in the heavens and on the earth. He has rescued Daniel from the power of the lions."
• Although I am a mess there is a God who can grace me with do over. David messed up God gave him a do over.
• Although I am so deeply rooted in sin there is the deeply rooted pardon in Christ The Psalmist claims God is the one , 3who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, 4who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,
• Although I am a mess there is a God that will rescue me24Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord