Summary: Even when God robed Himself in humanity and was born in Bethlehem, the people around Him did not recognize Him.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
March 16th, 2014
I AM JOSEPH
Intro: Every story/climax
• Every book written/every movie made/climax
• One moment/everything comes into focus
• Story begins make sense
• Even biblical stories/climax/story Job
What do you think is the climax of that story?
Does the climax come:
• Job prays/friends/God restores Job/giving him twice
• Chap.38-41/God gives Job/revelation/His power/purposes?
• Job’s story/swelling words found/Job 19:25-27
“I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God; I myself will see him with my own eyes—I, and not another. How my heart yearns within me!”
A good case/made/any/above.
• me/climax/story comes very early/think/climax/chap. 1.
• Job/just experienced/loss/everything he values/life
• Children/dead/wealth/possessions/all gone
• Very moment/allowed/see/very heart/Job in action.
His response/his calamities sets/tone/rest of the book.
• When the bottom falls out of his life
• Job falls/ground in humble worship/he says
“Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.”
studying/life/Joseph/several months now.
• This story/climax/well/we have just read about it
• One/most dramatic moments/all of history
• Moment we have been building towards takes place.
• Joseph reveals/true identity/his astonished brothers.
Don’t want/disservice/text today/like for us/see Jesus in this climactic scene.
• Moment/Joseph reveals/true identity/brothers
• I see/parallel/how Jesus reveals Himself to those He would save by His grace.
You see/real climax/any life/not/reach/pinnacle of success.
• Not when our children are born/even/become grandparents
Real climax/any life/moment in time/Jesus Christ reveals Himself/lost sinner/saves that sinner’s soul.
Everything/child/God’s life leads up to and flows out from that moment.
I. THERE IS A PARALLEL IN HIS KNOWLEDGE
Joseph knew his brothers a long time before they ever knew him.
• First arrived/Egypt, Joseph knew who they were.
• He recognized them, but they did not know him
Knew/Benjamin/soon/laid eyes on him/Judah, Reuben, Simeon,
Levi/all the rest.
But they had no idea who he was.
• To them, Joseph/just/mysterious Egyptian ruler.
• Not know who he/until he revealed himself to them.
• When he cried, “I am Joseph”
• Their eyes were finally opened/they saw him/who he was.
Amazing thing, but lost sinners do not know God.
• Cannot recognize Him even though He is their Creator.
• They do not know Him/cannot know Him