Summary: This is the 2nd sermon in the series "Church On The Rocks" and is also a Thanksgiving sermon. This sermon looks at what I am most thankful for.
Sunday Morning November 24, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: “Church On The Rocks” [#2](Thanksgiving)
I AM MOST THANKFUL FOR…
1. On this Sunday before Thanksgiving I want to ask you this question, “What are you the most thankful for?”
2. I am very thankful for my family, my health, my possessions, my church, my friends, etc… But, I am most thankful for Jesus Christ, who died for me.
3. If it were not for the cross of Jesus Christ, what would my life be? But, not all people would agree with me. I want us to take a look at 3 different attitudes toward the cross.
1. All throughout Jewish tradition, you find a Nation waiting for a Messiah to come, rule with an iron fist, and solve all of their problems; but Jesus did not come this way.
2. Jesus was a poor, unemployed carpenter who was crucified on a cross like a criminal. Understand that only the worst criminals were crucified. It was the worst possible way to be executed because you did not quickly die, but died from suffocation.
3. The Jews were looking for power and great glory. They stumbled at the weakness of the cross. The cross is not a pleasant thought, yet the power of the cross is our way to salvation. Do you stumble at the cross?
1. The Greeks were always emphasizing wisdom. To them the cross was foolishness. They looked at the cross from a human point of view.
2. How in the world could an old, nasty, bloody, wooden cross be the source of salvation? Does that really sound like something God would do?
3. You may think you are pretty smart, that all you have and all of your successes are because of you; but I will assure you that the wisest of all people in the world are absolutely stupid in comparison to God. Some may laugh at the cross today and call God’s plan foolish, but in the end they will not be laughing.
1. There will always be some that stumble at the cross. There will always be some that laugh at the cross. But, there will also always be some that believe. Now just simply believing that there was a man named Jesus that died on a cross is not enough. Even the demons of Hell believe in Jesus and Him crucified.
2. The power and wisdom of God are shown to us in the cross of Jesus Christ.
3. Have you experienced the transformational power of God in your life?
1. Some stumble, some laugh and some believe. Which category are you in?
2. I am thankful for so many things, but I am most of all thankful for the cross upon which my Savior died on for me.
3. Have you come to the cross of Jesus and surrendered your life to Him? He died for our sins on that cross. There’s room at the cross for you.